Used 2008 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Maybe saved my life
By rjw2000

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In June of 2013, a full-sized crew cab Chevy pickup ran a red light and hit my left front corner.
My left rear corner swung around and his his R. R. side.
$23,000 body damage to 4runner, and they couldn't open the hood.
Front end was bent about 10" to the right.
Adjuster said the 4runner probably saved me from serious injury or worse.
I came out without a scratch.

The dealer found me an '08 with only 29k miles- it's virtually identical, but grey not black.

It's been a great vehicle.
It's been elk hunting in CO, fishing on logging roads in Canada, and through some bad winters in MN.
Excellent vehicle.
I get 19 mpg unless towing a heavy boat, (16).
24 at 65 on the freeway.

Update: 4/16
4Runner now has 90k miles. I have still had zero repairs. Steering and suspension still feel tight. I have one spot of rust on the driver's side door frame.

Love it!
By ksdogwalker

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used in 2011, with 138k miles. Yes, you read that correctly: 138,000 miles! Everything had just been 100% serviced and it was like buying it brand new.

In the 30k miles I have had it (including driving halfway across the country), I have only had 2 issues.

1. I have had the driveshaft (?) lubricated twice due to a "thunk" sound and small lurch when stopping - no charge by the dealer; apparently it is common.

2. This winter, the back hatch has begun to freeze when it's below 30° outside and becomes impossible to open (at least for this gal!). Sort of a pain.

Of note: the paint scratches relatively easily, but I haven't noticed any rust issues. Just irritating.

• Seats are easy to fold down, yielding tons of room - and the cargo area is a great size even with the seats up! • Excellent interior fabric and carpeting (soooo easy to clean - and that says a lot coming from a dog pro) • The rear window is fabulous for my dogs to enjoy • The factory window tint is perfect depth • the 4WD would climb a tree • Decent MPG for a V8 4WD vehicle. My vehicle says my "average speed" is typically in the low 20s (small town life) and my MPG varies from 16 (cold months) to 18 (warm months).

• Paint scratches too easily • Rear gate design - when the rear window is lowered, if it is not lowered all the way or not in a magical configuration with all of the other windows or you are not driving at the correct speed, there is an issue with exhaust entering the passenger compartment. Ick. • On-the-fly 4WD. Enough said.

2008 4Runner V8 4X4
By kalicat

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought it brand new and in a couple of months it will be 4 years old.
57K miles on it.
I have never had a single mechanical issue with it.
I put
the front end leveling kit on it, and larger tires w/after market rims - but the engine is stock.

My only complaint is the gas mileage!
Even driving like an old lady, 95% highway mileage (it's my commuter car now) I only get 17 mpg.
Friends that have the v6 said they get the same.

Dealer says they will give me 22,500 if I trade it in (decided not to anyway)
Great resale!

Overall, am very happy with it!

Safety, all of the space, and off road capability. Also great re-sale value if I wanted to sell it. I still get compliments on this vehicle!

Can we come up with a different engine/tranny combo that gets better mileage?

2008 4runner 4wd
By mabatista

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very reliable. have 55k. No problems. Mileage is not too good. about 16 in town(driving like a little old lady) . 20 on hy sometimes. However, ths is what it is supposed to get.
Not very comfortable for me at 6'2" (legroom). My wife usually drives it and she is very comfortable.
I am sure that it will last 200k easily.

4wd, exterior design, reliability

legroom, mpg

Love that 4runner
By ACED 16

2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I thought that I should write because consumer reports had a bad review on the 2010 and I thought that this was ridiculous and I read in other magazines that the 2010 4Runner was better than many of the higher priced SUVs. I have had great time driving even through flooded roads and many snow storms and never had a problem.

Easy to shift into 4WD. Comfortable adjust. seats and great vision all around. Auto rear window is great.

Better audio system.