Used 2006 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love My Ride!
By jaime

2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent SUV.The attention to detail from Japanese auto makers (don't even go to chevy or ford) and the quality, reliability is perfect - this is my 6th TOYOTA. Maintenance every 5K miles and you're gonna be just fine - great truck, smooth, easy to drive - it feels like a sedan I have a lot of fun...TOYOTA keep up the good work!!!

Finish, Paint, style, strong...

none

Great all around Vehicle
By rcwing

2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Never have had a repair or adjustment made. Factory tow package easy to use and preforms well. Very steady feel on the road. Handles well at interstate speeds and eats up the open road. Long trips are easy and bad weather driving is secure.

Tows very easy, lots of power for a v6.

Side mirrors that pull out for towing.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By generalpatton

2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just passed my 3 year anniversary with my 2006 4Runner Sport and the build quality on this vehicle continues to amaze me. (knock on wood) To date I've not had a single repair item, the only service work I've had done are oil changes and regularly scheduled maintenance. Totally awesome even by Toyota standards! For a mid-size SUV the 4Runner is as good as it gets with a strong V6 motor, adequate mileage, great styling and comfort and the awesome reliability that I previously mentioned. For the first time in a long time I'm 3 years into a vehicle and I'm not thinking about unloading it for the next bright shiny thing that catches my attention. It's a beautiful thing :) !!

Roll down rear window, styling, strong V6 motor that doesn't suck gas, comfortable seats, great ride (once you upgrade from the stock Dunlops which are just ok - I put Michelin Cross Terrains on mine and it now rides like a dream).

More headroom - I'm 6'3" and I'm barely making it with the sunroof. Better stock stereo system - for a mid 30k vehicle the stock stereo in mine left a lot to be desired. Toyota puts a better stock stereo in the 15k Scion than in the 'runner.

Can't Get Better Than This
By Reliability

2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle for three years and, at 80K plus miles, I have not had a single mechanical malfunction. It drives great and has great roadability. It is easy to maneuver, even in small/tight spaces. The driver sits high and this provides great overall vision of your surroundings. In regards to quality, can't beat Toyota's quality or dependability.

Firm seats and handling. This SUV handles very well for its size.

Placement of the MP3 connection should be more convenient. Located inside the center console, it is a bit tedious to get to.

After 3 Years
By Rod

2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Last post was 9/6/2006. Nothing has changed except the gas mileage has improved from 19.5 to 21 mpg combined. Absolutely zero defects after 3 years and 36K miles. Best of all, my wife still loves it. It is the best vehicle, new or used that I have owned during the past 43 years. Wife wished we had bought leather with heated seats but the cloth is great. Handled great on snow and ice the past 2 winters. Plenty of power, great handling, and visibility. Still looks like new.

Rear cargo area with rear fold-down seats. 4WD handles the ice like a champ. Handling, visibility, and appearance. Reliability and power. Power seats and sun roof. Radio controls on steering wheel. Fog lights work great.

None.