Used 2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love This Truck
By Tibbzz

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my 4 runner, bought it used with about 20k miles on it (at near 50k now). No issues at all and love driving it. I average about 14 commuting (bit of a lead foot) and maybe 18 on the highway. Towing a 5000lb boat gives a terrifying 9mpg. Other than that it's a mean lil truck.

Drives great, tows great, and the 2WD can hold its own on the trail.

I can't imagine having a 3rd row. For two row seaters it would be nice to move them back a foot or so for more leg room in rear.

Awesome
By roscoe

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is absolutely amazing! I've wanted a 4runner for a while, and I def don't regret this purchase. I've put about 30,000 miles on it (55k total miles) and zero, zip, no complaints. The x- reas suspension on the sport edition makes it handle and take corners like a dream! Super quiet inside, almost zero road/wind noise. 200% quieter than the competing models. Zero mech problems and the v6 has plenty of power. This is my daily driver and also has been on many camping/fishing/snowboarding trips and has yet to meet an obstacle it can't overcome.

X-reas suspension, power rear window, off road capability, breaks are the best of any vehicle I've ever driven. The bigger breaks on the sport edition really shine, and if you're an aggressive driver like me great breaks can be a life saver.

Stock stereo system leaves much to be desired, if you like music you should probably upgrade to the jbl system (wish I would have) this is really an awesome vehicle, you know when the stereo is the only complaint it's a good sign.

A near perfect SUV
By Frank

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My daughter drove an older one and was hit by a speeding car running a light. Her 4runner sacrificed its own life to preserve hers, she was shook up but unhurt. My bosses daughter rolled one off an embankment from an icy road. She was shook up but unhurt. He was so happy he went out and bought her a brand new one. I know the accident reviews are good for this truck, but we believe they are way understated. We believe it to be one of the safest in the world today. This high quality full frame, (not unibody) truck is one of the few true off road vehicles left. With its low range gearing and its "positive 4 wheel lock" it is a stand out in a crowd of crossovers and halfway vehicles.

Off road capability, rugged good looks, reliability.

Umm??? Uhhh???

Excellent Truck
By Robert

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After searching for 4 months, I just bought a very low mileage 4 Runner with every option included. It is seriously amazing. I had a 2000 4Runner and got rid of it and got a 2004 Land Rover Discovery. This was a big mistake and I'm glad to be back inside a Toyota 4Runner. The driving performance is incredible as it drives like a sports car and handles like a truck. The reliability of a Toyota is first cast and the maintenance is much cheaper than a Land Rover, BMW, etc.

Navigation System, 4wd, V8 engine, quality of car, back up camera.

More head room.

Greater Than I Imagined
By Happy to Drive

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Read all your reviews before I purchased and they helped a lot. Once I bought the vehicle and actually got behind the wheel as an owner and then discovered what it can do, I'm so happy. I wanted the v6 for the gas mileage thing, but got the v8 full-time 4wd edition and here are the real world stats... On the highway and 65 mph and under, 25-27.7 mpg. Yes, really. Was going to get a Lexus GX-470 (built on the same platform as the 4Runner and at the same factory in Tahara, Japan), but decided on the 2006 4Runner instead. Whisper quiet. Not as fancy of an interior as the Lexus, but all the important elements, performance and reliability are the same. What a great car.