Used 2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Can't Get Any Better!
By cbchapman88

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 4-Runner new in 2006, it is 2013 now and it has 121,000 miles. I could not bare to trade in my 4-Runner before it hit the 100,000 mile mark. It has been a spectacular vehicle in every way! 121K miles and not a single mechanical issue. I have done regular maintenance and used premium gasoline the entire 7 years that I have had it, and not a SINGLE mechanical issue. I have made several trips half-way across the country, including two moves, and it never let me down. Seven years later, and it still cleans up like a brand new car and still drives like one too. I am planning on keeping this vehicle for another 100K miles, then I will surely buy another 4-Runner.

The smooth V8 that has plenty of power and good gas mileage. The build quality is spectacular. Very comfortable for long trips. Great standard sound system.

None at all...seriously!

Outstanding Truck
By docsweat

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought a used 06 4Runner Ltd.
I love it.
Smooth ride on pavement.
Went off road and it did great-and I put it through terrain/trails that would break a crossover and strand many other SUVs.
The pavement ride is far smoother than any serious 4x4 I have owned or driven, including a jeep CJ-5 Willys, Cherokees, pickups, Blazers and Broncos.
The 'bells and whistles' on the limited model make it a real joy and comfort for driver and passengers, especially if they are a family.
Comfort on and off road is truly amazing.
Toyota cured the two biggest gripes I had about my 98 4Runner-weak engine and too small gas tank.
Also made cup holders that don't block the air vents.

Everything. Seriously. Sweet ride on or off road. I am confident it will make it at least to 140k miles, like my 93 toy pu did before it was totaled in an accident.

Cannot think of any, though I have heard the third row seating (I do not have this) is only good for children (under 58" height).

LOVE this car
By tdtmd03

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife bought this car new.
We drove it for three years and put about 60000 on it without ANY problems other than the navigation system which always seemed to have us wandering in the ocean whenever we drove down I-95 in Florida.
It was reliable, fun to drive, great looking, comfortable.
We traded it in because we needed 4WD as we were about to move to AK in 2009.
We loved it so much we bought a 2004 4WD 4-runner and splurged on a 2008 land cruiser ( both have been fantastic).
And the 2006 that we traded in was bought by my father in-law. He was a little miff that we just didn't sell him the car in the first place so that he didn't have to pay the extra dealer mark-up.

heated seats, powered seats, powered rear window (our dogs loved this feature)

Best car I ever owned!
By lczep

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had gone through 2 Ford Explorers.
My last being a 2005 Eddie Bauer.
Both never saw 40,000 miles before I began putting large amounts of money into them.
In February of 2009, I purchased my 4Runner with 52,000 miles on it.
Just opening and closing the doors, you could hear and feel the difference in the quality of this car vs. Ford.
The gas mileage is almost double what I got with the Ford.
It handles beautifully in the snow.
It's a little more work to get it into 4 wheel drive, but worth the effort!
It handles beautifully on the highway, and is just a fun car to drive. I will own this car until it falls apart...I have the feeling I'll fall apart before this car does!

Shelf in cargo storage area. Mirrors in rear of car. Good gas mileage. Great four wheel drive. Overall appearance of car.

Large sideview mirrors create blindspots.

Great SUV
By TN Driver

2006 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just traded my 2006 4Runner that I bought new so I figured I had plenty of experience to leave a useful review having driven it 85,000 miles during that time. It was a great car. I only had to perform routine maintenance during the 5 years which was great. I just felt like we had outgrown this car with 2 small kids so I traded it in on a Buick Enclave. My husband had a 1997 4Runner prior to this one and we traded it in with 200k miles on it and he had no troubles with that one either. You can't go wrong with the 4Runner.

Low maintenance car

The tire pressure light is too sensitive. Dealer said there were no adjustments that could be made so I kind of starting ignoring this light whenever it came on. The seats are a bit hard on long road trips as well and it seemed to have a lot of wind noise at high speeds.