Used 2006 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

06 SR5 4runner
By WCF

2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great vehicle. Our first new Toyota. Comfortable, reliable, smooth rider. My kids both want me to give it to them! I'm thinking of moving to something like the Lexus LX just for the luxury of it, but would recommend the 4Runner to anyone.

Design and comfort, control layout is great.

My legs are too long to fit comfortably between the pedals and steering wheel. It'd be nice if the SR5 had a telescopic wheel.

Lousy Transmission
By Jay Alan

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck after having a 2002 GMC Envoy. Since I bought this truck, I've noticed the vehicle shifts up or down harshly and at the wrong speeds. When the ac is on, the idle is so high that the truck seems to drive itself. Coming off the highway, the car lurches forward when you're merging onto a new road. Very disappointing and can't wait to get rid of it.

The AC Charger outlet.

Wider track, softer ride, a real transmission.

Great Vehicle
By Ken

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Majority of driving is highway travel to second home. Always loaded with tools and gear, ride is great and V8 is really responsive. We haven't experienced an interior/exterior defect or even a squeak. It is a limited with navigation/backup camera, etc. Navigation was perfect in NYC travel. Since I am really a clean freak with a black vehicle, the fit and finish had to be perfect. It was. The AWD is secure, especially during heavy rain and New England snow. I do not like cross over and car based SUVs when you really need a truck. When needed, this vehicle can easily pull a 22 foot boat. Buy one.

Downhill assist. Interior storage compartments. Outlets.

None.

'06 4Runner
By Tom Grimshaw

2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This rig has lived up to the Toyota tradition, but there are a couple of niggling annoyances. At 20K miles when I make a turn there is a creak that comes from the back. My friends call this car 'the squawkwagon' due to the fact that the rear assist warning siren comes on and stays on whenever the car is in reverse. I'm used to it but it really gets on passengers nerves. The dealership can't fix it either. Also I added a Westin Sportmaster grille guard and it looks sharp!

Looks, acceleration (v-8) and the dependability.

The cabin is sparse and the radio and speakers are terrible in the SR5.

One year
By E

2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my 4runner for one year today with no problems at all. The V6 is quick, handles great. I love my truck.

Performance, reliability, interior.

Seats could be more comfortable, and the annoying tire pressure monitor light.