Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 248 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Bulletproof...
By keokisan

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great overall vehicle! 4x4 in snow EXCELLENT! Rides better than C-Class Benz. Ended up selling Benz was driving my SR5 90% of the time. Took a road trip from Seattle to Santa Monica and it drove like a DREAM. I have owned many, many vehicles. My advise: "GET YOUR HANDS ON A TOYOTA"! My 2005 looks brand new, gas, oil and scheduled maint. is all I do. It NEVER FAILED, EVER... Just gas and oil.

Handling/ride, Reliability, Fit & finish, 4x4 is the REAL DEAL! No wonder these vehicles hold 'book' so well.

If you have a lead-foot it will cost you dearly! Drive easy = 18mpg OVERALL at best. The 7 seat configuration is ok for kids(in back) but not for long treks. When the extra seats are in their 'up/stowed' position, it KILLS visibility!

67,000 mile review
By t h a m

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After driving 4.5 years I figured I would write another review w/ reliability notes. Following service manual to a T and everything is running fine other than my sunroof which broke wide open at 55k mi with a $2400 replacement bill that I did not fix (just got it closed). Computer read out says I'm averaging 20.3 mpg but it's 10% off so actual is 18 mpg - reasonable for a body on frame SUV. Replaced tires at 40k from dealer oem's to Mich Cross Terrains - nice improvement. At 6'3", head and leg room are just adequate. 2 prong outlet is great, but only 1 12v is not. Front passenger space is small - friends ride knees up at 6'1". Good truck overall and would recommend to friends/family.

'Yota's ability to have a body on frame, live rear axle, truck style SUV that gives toughness and offroad ability while still delivering a smooth and quiet ride with acceptable mpg. Excellent reliability reviews are why I purchased it, and so far the reviews were correct. No major mechan. issues.

High floor and low roof equals short interior space, broken sunroof under normal operation, tranny revs like it's in neutral on occasion (diagnosis said nothing wrong), stank exhaust odor with rear window down, "nose to the ground" factory look - had to add a front spacer to level out vehicle.

Best Buy Ever
By 4Runner man

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 4runner Limited 2wd certified vech, I have had this vech for six months, the more I drive it the more I like it. My Limited came with all the features, JBL sound system, Nav system, rear camera, driver and passenger air bags, sunroof, night time rear view mirror, compast, 17 inch rims, running (lit) boards. The ride is smooth and swift, runs on regular unleaded, gets 18mpg in the city and 24 on the hwy. I have put six thousands trouble free miles on this vech, maints is low change the oil and drive, I live in the land of Cars Los Angeles, You name it we drive it and still prefer my 4runner Limited because it fits in every where from Beverly Hills to beaches of Malibu.

Nav system, sound system, back up camera, heated seats

none

Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned
By 1Happy Camper

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in 2005 and I couldn't be happier. I travel a lot for work and put a great deal of miles on this truck. Other than replacing the tires at 90K miles (yep, you heard right, 90K miles) and a new set of front brakes, I have not had a single thing go wrong with this vehicle. If you're in the market for a good looking, dependable SUV then the 4Runner is a great deal.

Steering wheel audio control, fold- flat back seats, smooth ride.

Interior lighting is less than adequate, driver's seat is not that comfortable on long trips.

Not too bad for the money
By suishin

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was very happy when the first two year. Everything goes downhill when I took it off road once. Bad gas mileage. Used to be combination of local and highway got me 22-24. As now with only 40,000 miles on it gives only 16-17. And cd player went out at 35,999 mile. Not just that, the tire sensor went out too.

great body type style