Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 370 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Perfect Mid-size SUV
By wheatonbama

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second 4runner that I own and it was purchased for $6,000 with 205,000 miles. Well it still runs great and has no major mechanical problems. It is really a great SUV to own and is great on the highway where it averages between 23 and 26 mpg driving between 60 and 70 mph. it can get more if you driving 55 mph using cruise control. Hope it last for 300k.

I give this 10 stars on a 5-star scale
By ebara

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased our awesome 4Runner in Dec 2012 w/ 100K. Now it has 125K & hasn't failed us...nor will it. Traded a Cadillac with 70K for it because Caddy was having major mechanical problems. Just took a 4000-mile trip to the mountains with the 4Runner, and it held strong, even with over 100K miles! Toyota has quality that no automaker can surpass. Don't be afraid to buy a Toyota w/ over 100K, as it can easily get to 200K or 300K w/ no problems, as long as you keep up on scheduled maintenance. We fight over who gets to take the 4Runner, & our other car has 100K less miles on it. A 4Runner will outlast any USA-engineered car you would ever buy. A Toyota w/ 100K is like a USA car with 0 miles.

You can't even feel it on snow. It's amazing.

Gas mileage, but all of the great features make up for this small inconvenience.

2004 V8 220K
By sfl0294

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

In Aug. 2004 I decided to buy a brand new 4Runner Sport Edition V8. Thinking that I too would buy a new one after it started showing signs of use, it's quite comical actually before owning a 4Runner I had got new cars about every 2-3 years, due to maintenance and worrying about breaking down. I travel for work throughout New England for work and still have yet to ever have an issue while driving. I take very good car of my cars and do a lot of preventative maintenance when not on the road but still this SUV has paid for itself at least three times over. I just ordered a new 2014 4runner today and will be giving my old one to my niece for the summer.

Reliability!

*Only flaw I've replaced the rear hatchback locking mechanism 3 times due to rusting out.

Safe and most reliable
By ritanilesmail

2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this car in December 2004. I was pregnant with my first child and wanted a safe and reliable car with good cargo space. This has been our family car for the last 7.5 years and has NEVER failed us. The car now has 134,000 miles & the only maintenance we've done are tires, brakes, a break light & oil changes. I feel so safe in this car; rugged yet has navigation, power everything, rear view camera, great stereo. Although truck-like it has great turning radius & weaves in NYC traffic easily. Powerful V8 accelerates great to merge onto hwy. We tow trailer on camping trips each year! Cargo room is great for house projects & kid gear. Tough, safe, reliable, responsive. I LOVE MY 4RUNNER!

Reliability! After 135,000 have only had oil, tire and break maintenance! Amazing. Safety! Good snow traction, and with two little kids, the thick exterior gives me security that we won't get crushed in the case of an accident. Handling! Great responsiveness for such a large and powerful car. Can turn into parking spots easily and weave in NYC traffic no problem. Cargo Room! Lots of room for sports equipment, beach gear, camping gear, house renovation supplies. Towing Capacity! Can tow landscaping trailer, camping trailer, U-Haul trailer with no loss of power and no engine damage!

Very minor: Wheel rim paint is flaking off, needs better coating? Interior Room is a little smaller than you would think for a large vehicle. Rear door/hatch would love it if it were automatic and could close with the push of a button.

simply the best!
By sclay1

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

we bought our 4runner 3 years ago with 100000 miles on it, now it has 175000 miles and runs and drives like new! the only thing we have done to it is put new brakes on it, I use synthetic oil and change it every 5000 miles and its full every time. if you have not owned a 4runner you are missing out! Awsome SUV!