Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 370 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great SUV
By Ed Parans

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got my 1st 4 runner in 1995, my 2nd in 2000. This year I decided to upgrade into something more luxurious. I still wanted the room so a crossover was out of the question.I tried the MDX and the RX 330 and was left feeling dissapointed. They were nice enough inside but did not feel right. When I test drove a limited 4 runner, I got the best of both worlds. A great , reliable SUV in the mountains and pretty sweet ride when we head downtown.

Well made and reliable. Good road visibility and driving position.

What's with the cassette player?

Rattle Rattle Squeak Squeak
By 2Noisy

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The sunroof rattles like it has marbles in it. The left front rubber insulator between body and frame squeaks when it's cold. The lumbar motor in driver's seat went out and was $750 to replace. There was a support tapping me in the back, so it had to be fixed. It has been to dealer for the noise and is still not fixed. The seat is ok now. I am running H/T tires and handling is great. Radio still sounds great with it's 10 speakers. Handles and rides well on trips, but rattles from sunroof will drive you crazy.

Handling, radio, mileage (22 HWY and if you slow down to 60-65, you may get almost 25 mpg.) Towing performance is satisfactory with a Sea Ray 18 behind it.

Fix the sunroof noise and frame squeaks permanently, not just for a while.

Good SUV
By Gygax

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Solid vehicle that has been a driven daily since purchase (along with yearly road trips from Midwest to Coastal states). Several minor issues have arisen since purchase that have been handled under warranty.

The 4Runner ride, transmission shifter, electric rear window, cargo space.

Redesign 2nd row seats to lay completely flat behind driver seat without moving them forward, improve transmission design (specially relating to 4x4 not always being able to engage), eliminate noises from sunroof area, redesign intermittent wiper for rear window, improve base stereo, improve MPG & HP

2003 4Runner
By 4Runner

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great SUV for anyone young and old. Great looking, great handling. Just need help on gas mileage.

Sunroof, 4WD, brakes.

Price, gas mileage.

Stuck on toyota
By Tony_sells_R.E.

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2003 4Runner sport edition with the optional V8, 2WD, and it is amazing. I always wanted a 4Runner, and could finally afford one. It is great. I should have bought it years ago instead of an explorer that blew a head gasket and needed new lifters after 85k miles. I am only 24 years old, and drive hard, and it keeps up with me. Being in real estate, I need a nice car for clients, and a reliable and low maintenance suv that I can fit my family's stuff in when we go out for the weekend. This is an awesome vehicle!!!

The driver's controls are easily reachable, and the motor purrs like no other. Plus plenty of storage space for my gadgets next to me.

None, it has everything I need, and what I don't have can be purchased from the dealer, like nav. and upgraded stereo. A tiptronic transmission would have been nice, but no biggie.