Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 372 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

I wish I had It Back
By happywiththetoy

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Toyota was one of the safest on the highway. Involved in a major accident on 1/23/09. If I had been driving many other vehicles I would not be alive to write this review! Unfortunately, my Toyota was totaled, but I was not. I enjoyed just about everything about my 4Runner. I just wish I had it back. Don't know that I'll ever be able to replace it.

Fun to drive. Lots of leg room in front and back. In winter the heated seats were wonderful. Great sound system.

Little more road noise than expected.

2003 SR5 Toyota 4Runner
By D&N 4Runner

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this used in 2007 with 57,000 miles. It currently has 82,000 miles. I have had to replace the blower motor and AC relay ($500+). Also, there is a sulfur smell that happens when the rear window is down and also comes through the vents when driving. Toyota's answer is change the gas to a better grade, WHICH does not help. I bought the vehicle for its reliability factor and now looking at taking a loss and trading it in. Toyota should step up and fix this issue ASAP.

Exterior look

Emission control. Blower motor freezing.

Love it!!
By tiff1884

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this vehicle. I absolutely LOVE my 4Runner. The fuel economy is great for an SUV (20 MPG in city), it is a very comfortable ride, looks good, handles great, the list goes on. The quality of the vehicle is phenomenal. I have been rear ended in my 4Runner and the car that hit me was totaled while I only had to have the hitch and bumper replaced. Both of my children were in the car and were 100% fine. I have every intention of buying a new one when the mileage on this one gets to be too high. GREAT vehicle!!

Great Rig
By Bill

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love my 2003 4Runner. It's roomy, comfortable, reliable and good looking, too. I also own a BMW 740 and my g/f comments on the 4Runner's good looks more often than the Bimmer. In fact, given the option, she'd drive the 4Runner first. Interesting. The Toyota V8 is a beautiful running engine and I still get a respectable 17 mpg around town, 21 highway. Oh, I also appreciate the good ground clearance, 4WD and ABS because I live in snow country. This thing is very sure footed.

This vehicle is the perfect blend between utility and comfort. The V8 engine and superb reliability are its best features. Its ride quality, performance and comfort are good too... especially for an SUV.

My one and only complaint: the sunroof rattles sometimes. It can drive me nuts, especially on concrete roads w/ wide seams.

Great
By Paul

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We traded an '04 Envoy 4x4 for this because we trailer a dirt bike and atv. As it turns out, we can use this on the 4x4 trails near where we live. The gas mileage leaves a little to be desired, but the V8 wasn't purchased for amazing gas mileage. I get about 15 in the city and 21ish on the highway. With 1100 pounds of trailer in tow, we get about 19. I don't think that's too bad for full-time 4wd.

V8 power, great on the trails, sunroof, and cd changer.

Skidplate on the 4x4 transfer case would be a good idea.