Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 370 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love it!!
By tiff1884

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this vehicle. I absolutely LOVE my 4Runner. The fuel economy is great for an SUV (20 MPG in city), it is a very comfortable ride, looks good, handles great, the list goes on. The quality of the vehicle is phenomenal. I have been rear ended in my 4Runner and the car that hit me was totaled while I only had to have the hitch and bumper replaced. Both of my children were in the car and were 100% fine. I have every intention of buying a new one when the mileage on this one gets to be too high. GREAT vehicle!!

Great Rig
By Bill

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love my 2003 4Runner. It's roomy, comfortable, reliable and good looking, too. I also own a BMW 740 and my g/f comments on the 4Runner's good looks more often than the Bimmer. In fact, given the option, she'd drive the 4Runner first. Interesting. The Toyota V8 is a beautiful running engine and I still get a respectable 17 mpg around town, 21 highway. Oh, I also appreciate the good ground clearance, 4WD and ABS because I live in snow country. This thing is very sure footed.

This vehicle is the perfect blend between utility and comfort. The V8 engine and superb reliability are its best features. Its ride quality, performance and comfort are good too... especially for an SUV.

My one and only complaint: the sunroof rattles sometimes. It can drive me nuts, especially on concrete roads w/ wide seams.

Great
By Paul

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We traded an '04 Envoy 4x4 for this because we trailer a dirt bike and atv. As it turns out, we can use this on the 4x4 trails near where we live. The gas mileage leaves a little to be desired, but the V8 wasn't purchased for amazing gas mileage. I get about 15 in the city and 21ish on the highway. With 1100 pounds of trailer in tow, we get about 19. I don't think that's too bad for full-time 4wd.

V8 power, great on the trails, sunroof, and cd changer.

Skidplate on the 4x4 transfer case would be a good idea.

Quality after 70,000 miles
By trevk56

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I replaced a 2000 Toyota Tundra with this car and never keep a car for more than three years, but I am now starting my 6th year with this 4Runner. I have had the 45 and 60,000 mile maintenance +tires/brakes that ran about $1700 and the AC synchronizer went out ($238). I have worked the front rotors once and replaced them once in 70,000 miles and can't complain because the brakes are great (4 wheel disk) and the power from the V8 and all wheel drive make effortless stoplight to highway merging simple. The gas mileage has stabilized (with full time 4WD) at 15.9-17.5 and best ever highway mileage was 19 worst was 11.2 pulling a trailer. Can pull Jet Skis or Boat at 75 up hills no problem.

The offroad systems are outstanding. Hill start assist is an option I have to have now. Works great on a boat launch ramp. The TSC and VSC just let you mash the gas and drive in the winter and deep snow without spinning a wheel. I took it out in the desert - solid with the stock tires and skids.

Mine has the plastic charcoal body molding on it that is fading in the sunlight. They painted all this on the 2005 model. An additional forward power point would be nice.

Most Underappreciated SUV
By 4Runner2003

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm 19 years old and have had two 4runners, a 1999 and a 2003. I test drove every midsize SUV and some full size before I bought the second 4runner. I kept telling myself that I should get something different but this vehicle just fits me so naturally. Everyone who I let drive my 4runner comments on how stable, predictable and comfortable it is. It's also very capable off road. It seems no one has fully picked up on the 4runner's excellent traits. There's still way too many Explorers on the road.

Steering wheel controls, seats are low to the floor so I don't feel like I'm sitting in a chair, and the power assist tailgate.

Make it a little wider, a little taller and a little longer, but not too much.