Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 370 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

2003 Toyota 4runner Limited V8 4wd
By MTS

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle. I bought it as a dealer demo with 7500 miles on it for about $6k off sticker ($36k). Only a few minor probs, the side mirrors had a weird glare and those were replaced (free warranty), few probs with actuators (free under ext warranty - doors wouldn't lock), a/c clutch relay switch replaced (125 P&L). Blower motor may need to be replaced any day (used heavily/daily). At 105k miles had water pump and timing belt replaced -preventative maintenance only. I put about 22k miles annually on this vehicle and love it. It always starts and goes. Have taken few trips to places from Bay Area to Canada (BC), San Diego, Yosemite, Vegas, Bakersfield, Arizona. Has hauled many things. Good vehicle. 17.4 avg mpg

Reliability!!! Power (could use a little more though). Good ride. Good brakes. Not much rattles makes for quiet driving.

Back seats should be able to recline. Better mpg.

The best suv on the planet
By Miguel Torres

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had three 4Runners, 1993, 1995 and 2003. I have the last once since it was new on 2003, and right now I have 6 years with it, with 110,000 miles and still be a perfect SUV. Perfect movements, great acceleration, nice gear, excellent motor, and beautiful body interior and exterior. Few years ago, I bought a used Jaguar Xtype, and my 4Runner has more luxury than it, and the quality and reliability of this vehicle was nasty. But, my V8 4.7L,4WD LIMITED EDITION 4RUNNER is the BEST BUY I made! Perfect combination between a strong and luxurious vehicle!

Great radio...sounds perfect with my rock! Very funny with all the features that I need!

My Trusty Companion
By rkymtnhgh

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nearly 6 years and 60,000 trouble free miles later, this truck is still very solid and drives like new. I take meticulous care of my vehicles and the 4Runner has certainly returned the favor. The interior has held up well and the drivetrain has been bulletproof. Unstoppable in inclement weather and supremely capable on 4WD trails. I purchased this vehicle for its off road prowess and it has never let me down. Very comfortable highway ride with decent handling and fuel economy for a truck based midsize SUV. The 4 speed automatic transmission, though smooth, could use an extra gear. (This changed with the 2005 V6 models however, as a 5 speed auto came standard).

Powerful V6; low range 4WD; Locking center differential; Power rear window; Easily accessible top mount oil filter; Build quality and reliability.

Additional ground clearance, locking rear differential. Keep the body on frame design with successive generations!

I wish I had It Back
By happywiththetoy

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Toyota was one of the safest on the highway. Involved in a major accident on 1/23/09. If I had been driving many other vehicles I would not be alive to write this review! Unfortunately, my Toyota was totaled, but I was not. I enjoyed just about everything about my 4Runner. I just wish I had it back. Don't know that I'll ever be able to replace it.

Fun to drive. Lots of leg room in front and back. In winter the heated seats were wonderful. Great sound system.

Little more road noise than expected.

2003 SR5 Toyota 4Runner
By D&N 4Runner

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this used in 2007 with 57,000 miles. It currently has 82,000 miles. I have had to replace the blower motor and AC relay ($500+). Also, there is a sulfur smell that happens when the rear window is down and also comes through the vents when driving. Toyota's answer is change the gas to a better grade, WHICH does not help. I bought the vehicle for its reliability factor and now looking at taking a loss and trading it in. Toyota should step up and fix this issue ASAP.

Exterior look

Emission control. Blower motor freezing.