Used 2002 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Simply Outstanding
By ajf1208

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I recommend this vehicle to ALL! Vehicle is a dependable truck that I drove up to 96,500 miles and had not a single issue with. The V6 engine had beautiful sound as I'd step into it on the freeway.

With 4-wheel drive and traction control, the vehicle was extremely safe. Sunroof was a great feature and I loved the power back window.

None!

Excellent Reliability & Utility
By Ryan

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have 2WD Sport Edition in Thundercloud color. Bought used w/135k. Now have 145k miles. It's been totally reliable, except for one minor 4Runner weakness - that darned power antenna! I replaced it myself for about $25. Otherwise it's been perfect. Can be a bit bouncy on rough roads, but it is a truck after all. Found the seats a little uncomfortable for my legs the first 2 months, but now OK. The utility is perfect for me & love open-air feeling. Size is perfect for me, but might be tight for larger/heavier people (somewhat narrow vehicle). Nice seat fabric on Sport Edition! MPG avg: 20city/24hwy. Rides on Michelin LTX tires.

Roll-down rear window. Open air feeling w/ all windows down & sunroof open. Decent mpg for a truck (20/24). Responsive steering/suspension. Rock-solid reliability. Smooth engine/transmission. Love the design & Thundercloud color. Great seat fabric on Sport Edition, looks good & durable.

Power antenna WILL break at some point. A bit more settled ride would be good. Although I really like the seat fabric, it does "squeak" a little when you move around. Maybe it's the cushion below. Not a big deal, just seems odd that it does that.

The Best
By Lynn

2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Toyota performance at its best! This SUV cannot be surpassed for quality and reliability and just plain fun. It never fails to perform and outperform other SUVs in its class. This vehicle has 129,000 miles and is still like new in many ways. If you can find one, buy it!

Reliability and performance that Toyota is famous for providing.

Headroom for tall drivers

Supercharged this thing rocks!
By Speedy

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I traded a 2002 Xterra which was junk for this 2002 4Runner. I test drove the then new 2003 4Runner but felt it too big and heavy. I've not had a single problem with this 4Runner, it's built tight, drives great, is quiet, roomy, and wonderful on road trips. I decided it needed more power so I installed a TRD supercharger and some other goodies which really woke it up. I've dyno tested this 4Runner at 240RWHP. That's Mustang GT territory and the 4Runner weighs nearly the same. I'm thrilled Toyota offers these types of upgrade options. It's an entirely new animal.

Leather sport seats; push button 4WD; sporty appearance; build quality

It needed more power from the factory, but I solved that with the TRD supercharger. Illuminated cup holders would be nice, and a trac/vsc disable switch to turn the systems off. I fixed all of these myself as well, but they should have been included from Toyota.

Ho Hum Reliable
By Rick

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 2002 2WD 4Runner based on reliablity history of Toyota. Nothing spectacular after 52,000 miles. Always starts, no major repairs - except the automatic radio antenna broke and needs to be repaired someday. Car is holding up well. Only regret is that I didn't buy a 4WD and sunroof, both would make the car better for me. Drives/handles like a truck - not the smoothest ride. Good visibility, no blind spots. Somewhat noisy on the road - even with new tires. Sometimes, I'd prefer to have a fun car with some pep, but my plan was to keep the 4Runner until I get to 200,000 miles.

High off the ground - good visibility, stereo sound pretty decent.

Quieter interior, smoother ride.