Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

MOST RELIABLE VEHICLE
By doug

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned. Haven't had to spend any money, except for oil & filter. The only complaint I have with this vehicle is that the front bucket seats aren't very comfortable. The new model 4runner supposedly addressed this problem, but I haven't riden in the new 4runner. I doubt if I would buy another 4runner. I love the reality, but I hate the new style! My wife likes the current style, but she is trying to have us buy a new Sequouia(sic). I like the Sequ ok, but I like that the 4runner is built in Japan. Don't say I'm not patriotic, I joined the Marines at the height of the Viet Nam War! If the USA ever builds a vehicle with Japanese reliabity

styling, reliability, re-sale value.

more comfortable seats

Amazing at 107K miles!
By John in Wisc

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used at 30K miles. One owner (per dealer) and no wear/tear. Now at 106K miles, and repairs virtuallly nil, except the routine (1 tune up, 1 brakes). Front seats a bit crowded, could use 2" more on each. Cloth upholstery on this one - seams are opening up a couple places, need to sew them up. Handles great in snow with 4WD, excellent traction control. The engine purrs and virtually ZERO vibration at idle. Slightly underpowered at 5cyl-has tow package which is easy to hook up. Don't expect a soft "car" ride-this is a truck frame and lets you know it, but that's fine for a true SUV that can off road with the best of 'em.I keep it well maintained/lube oil trans . Great product

Stability control, on the fly 4 WD, moonroof, rear heater is nice

wider seats in front, rear A/C vents, a bit more power from the 6 cyl engine, and tweak the MPG up a bit.

An Excellent SUV
By Aikidoka55

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this SUV brand new in 2001 and it has been with us everywhere in California and Hawaii (Oahu in 2004). It is a very reliable vehicle. All I need to do is put oil and gas in. It required very little maintenance. It is a superb vehicle overall.

Very reliable. Tough chassis.

Bumpy rides.

The Best!
By mgm

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Like others have already written, this is an unbelievably reliable car that is also great looking and fun! I have over 100,000 miles and have only had to do routine maintenance, tires and a couple of tail lights. I haven't even needed to replace the brakes yet. The paint is still beautiful, the ride is still quiet. No rattles, no knocks - nothing. I'm tempted to look into a smaller vehicle with better gas mileage, but I can't see giving my 4Runner up!

The body (especially with the sports package), the rear window, the ride is perfect for an SUV, ease of 4WD, reliability

Preset buttons on the radio have been very worn out since it was only a couple of years old, better stereo, outside temperature gauge (probably already added in newer models)

Stylish runner
By george

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have taken this runner on numerous trips arizona nevada sandiego, great mileage, handles well, comfortable, reliable and fun to drive. Handle well on the off road too. A great buy you can count on.

outside temp gauge