Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Used 4Runner Review
By Douglas Lemmo

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

In the years I have owned it, it has run perfectly. The only parts that have failed have been the 2 oxygen sensors which were expensive to repair. There was one recall in which they replaced front end parts. Gas mileage is consistently at 20 mpg in mixed driving. It has a slightly rough ride which is characteristic of light pickup trucks.

I like the space in the back with the rear seats folded down.

None.

2001 4Runner is Solid SUV
By hdk26819

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased the 4Runner as we started a family. We wanted an SUV to hold the family and also to go off-road for camping. Given the limited gas milage of SUVs, we wanted a 4Runner as one of the better gas milage vehicles. It has run solidly for almost five years now. We bought it "Certified Pre-Owned" via a dealership. Other than normal maintenance, we have had no repair issues on the vehicle. We used the 24-hour roadside assistance twice for tire changes. The 4-wheel drive is not a common use item for us; however it has been a blessing in Oklahoma ice storms and in some camping conditions.

Comfort while driving. It is still a truck, but drives smoothly for a truck.

The engine is fairly loud from the driver's seat.

LUV MY TOY!
By Mike & Millhouse

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've been sold on Toyota's reliability since I purchased my '95 Camry. I love the MANLY MAN appearance of the front end (with the non functional, yet asthetically pleasing hood scoop). My 4Runner's gotten me everywhere I needed to go, everywhere I wanted to go, and almost back again, which brings me to one drawback. This truck is deceptively heavy! Don't take it into a soft, muddy field! (Incidently, I was doing fine, until the running boards started to drag!) Two hundred thirty dollars is the price of my pride!

Power rear window, for the dog, moonroof, CD player, and locking hubs

About forty more ponies under the hood, taken care of in later model years, and someone to hit a secondary brake pedal when you're about to go Baja'ing into a muddy cornfield.

4 Runner
By George

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Very reliable car from an engine and systems standpoint. Wish the mileage efficiency was higher. Suspension is a bit hard; it bounces quite a bit on small bumps on the road.

Looks.

Mileage efficiency - suspension a bit hard.

I Love My 4-Runner
By Bob B

2001 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been my 3rd 4-Runner, and the best of the best. I have over 70,000 miles on it and have found nothing wrong. It gets used off road a fair amount and it still as tight as if it were new. One thing I have found about 4-Runners, they are very sensitive to kind of off road tires and vibrations caused by some tread designs.

It is fun to drive, on and off road. I really like the flexibility of using the A/C in any mode - great for off road dirty places. Stability system worked great on one occasion in the ice.