Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Let Down Some!
By Richard Neva

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I paid dearly for this car as my retirement ride and never planned to baby it and never did. Just put gas in it and used Amsoil exclusively which I recommend highly. Once a year oil and filter changes. At 60K miles I started having some issues with the fuel air controls and computer module that were very costly to me. Being retired I had a hard time forking over 1200 dollars for a new O2 sensor manifold that sits atop the V6 engine. Now I have a computer error P 1135 and I am waiting for an estimate on that damage. Not happy one iota with the last year of service in 2009. I had expected better longevity. I believe the air fuel system is the weakest link on this automobile.

Plenty of go for passing on two lane black top roads. My last car was a supercharged Mustang and this 4runner goes like a jack rabbit when you punch it to pass. In heavy snow it is great but don't for when you can go you may have to stop.

The air fuel control system is lacking in long term performance.

So far so good
By Yoko

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I never thought of owning a car this long. I bought the runner with 40K in 2004. It now has 148K. I did change a lot of stuff, spent about 5K. Still cheaper than buying a new car. This SUV is still running from Florida to New York with no problems. I'm running this truck to the ground. No rust. Paint is great. If you're looking for a long lasting SUV, look no further.

Turning radius, on the dime.

Side view mirrors could be a little bigger. Engine could be stronger

Worth every penny!
By YotaMan

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner with 54K mi and after 3.5 years I now have 165K. It has never left me stranded. All I've done to it is replace the plugs/wires, brakes, timing belt, water pump, shocks/struts, tires, and other routine maintenance. The only problem I've had with it is this week the front U-joint went bad causing it to ride rough. It cost 100 bucks to fix. Engine sounds as good as ever and I plan on putting another 100K+ miles on it!! I knew I had a solid truck and it was confirmed when I backed into the side of my neighbors bumper. It peeled his fiberglass bumper off like a banana! Scratched my paint and put a little hole in my metal bumper... can't even tell. Now that's a truck!

Quality components, hidden features like skid and traction control, toughness.

Nothing that matters.

Good to the last drop
By daf62757

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 4Runner new and used it daily for 7.5 years. I can't say enough how much I love this SUV! The paint looks new and the overall look is even better than the new generation 4Rs. I am on the verge of trading it in but since the gas prices are dropping like a rock these days, my 4R may get another year or two first string duty! I am tempted to keep it as a backup car just to see how long it will last.

Dual auto front power windows. Most cars only have that feature on the driver's window. The 4R has it on both front window.

Better gas mileage and larger fuel tank. I only get about 300 miles of range and even that is not accurate as my Tom Tom says I am going 70 but the speedometer says I am going 74.

Best vehicle I ever owned
By HKPulschen

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Owning the car was a pleasure in every way. It never failed me, ever, in 130,000 plus miles.

Interior comfort, great reliability and great looking SUV.

Fold down rear seats could be made easier.