Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Good to the last drop
By daf62757

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 4Runner new and used it daily for 7.5 years. I can't say enough how much I love this SUV! The paint looks new and the overall look is even better than the new generation 4Rs. I am on the verge of trading it in but since the gas prices are dropping like a rock these days, my 4R may get another year or two first string duty! I am tempted to keep it as a backup car just to see how long it will last.

Dual auto front power windows. Most cars only have that feature on the driver's window. The 4R has it on both front window.

Better gas mileage and larger fuel tank. I only get about 300 miles of range and even that is not accurate as my Tom Tom says I am going 70 but the speedometer says I am going 74.

Best vehicle I ever owned
By HKPulschen

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Owning the car was a pleasure in every way. It never failed me, ever, in 130,000 plus miles.

Interior comfort, great reliability and great looking SUV.

Fold down rear seats could be made easier.

LOVED this SUV
By SpoiledWife

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My husband bought this 4Runner for me used with 100k mi on it. I had no problem with the miles as it was all still as tight as the day it was new. I put another 40k on it before I traded it in 2 weeks ago. I loved it. There is room for 4 large adults comfortably, 5 if one is a smaller child with no car seat. But I have had 5 with one in car seat many times and it wasn't too bad. I never once had any doubts about getting in it and driving where ever I needed to go. I routinely got 18.5 mpg mixed and 21 mpg highway. With the back seats down it can hold a lot of crap. The front seats are ok for short distances but over a long drive the seats can get hard.

Almost everything. The cargo room, the ruggedness. It rides like a truck, 4x4 works great! The location of all controls are very easy for driver. Very very reliable, no probs at all. Good mpg for its size. I loved all of it except the front seats. At 140k mi still had like new tight steering and feel.

Seats could've been a little more comfortable. not so bad for me but my larger husband found that they were a little small for him and hard on trips. I would still absolutely recommend!!

My cool 4Runner
By escalante

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great driving, I love this car but needs better gas mileage, had no mechanical problems other than regular maintenance.

Rear window, scoop, drive assist, auto front windows, rear seats folding.

Better gas mileage, make them all 4 wheel drives.

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
By Yangster

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used w/ 78k in Aug. of 2006. No problems yet with it and 105k currently in just a little over 1yr of owning it. All I did to it was put tires and keep on driving. Due for the 90k Toyota recommended tune up. Drives nice like a truck w/ an SUV feeling. My dog absolutely loves the roll down rear window. Could use a little more space but what do you expect from a midsize truck. The gas is ok, not complaining. I average 16-17 city mix w/ hwy driving. Straight hwy is about 20-21 mpg. Not too bad. V6 motor is weak but a phenomenal mileage motor known to exceed 300k. Looking forward to upgrading to a Sequoia. Growing family. Love the truck though. 11in clearance for snow and 4wd A+

Anti-skid safety feature for snow/slippery driving conditions. 4x4 awesome. Roll down window.

Could use a stronger V6 motor but addequate enough to haul things around.