Used 1999 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love It Already
By H Coffey

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Just bought my 4 Runner SR5 4wd a couple of weeks ago but now drive it all the time everywhere. Friends are astonished that this is a ten (10) year old vehicle! It has logged 115,000 miles in Canada and was used all year in all weather conditions. Granted the first owners took good care of it but I seen many GM's, Fords and Nissans that were babied but notwithstanding the care, still turned to junk. Matter of fact I previously owned an Explorer and Pathfinder. The SR5's interior is like new and except for a few minor wee dents the exterior and black paint are perfect! The 16 inch alloy wheels have some very minor corrosion but way less than one would expect for enduring ten winters.

Ride comfort and handling in city and and on the highway, roll down rear window, decent gas mileage, full auto front windows,storage capacity, build and finish integrity. Still looks great. Historical reliability. (Bonus, my wife loves it too and she is used to a Lexus LS430)

Nothing that hasn't been taken care by Toyota in subsequent iterations since 1999.

1999 4 runner saved from clueless owner
By john

1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought off ebay 7/2007 with 100k, did all of the deferred issues,+ new springs, shocks, 1 " lift, changed all fluids, cold air intake. Great quality (mini Land Cruiser) same looks, better mileage. Better 4 wh drive system. Power is a little weak, gas gauge reads empty with 5 gal. in tank (common) this is a true 300K truck with the right mechanic working on it, 1999's are the year to buy, they sit an in. higher than all the other years. Had a 1993 land cruiser for 14 years, great but sucked gas. This 4run get 17 21 town/highway. Will cruise 90 mph all day long. No oil usage or leaks 285.75 /16 tires & spring spacers & it looks ready for anything, great for anywhere.

Build quality, reliable, go anywhere 4wh drive, ok on gas, tons of aftermarket stuff, I see trains of them headed south of the border all the time, 4 mode drive train 2 wh, full time 4 wh, 4 high lock & 4 wh low lock + neutral for a PTO winch. Bank vault quality for way less than $10,000.

California exhaust emissions is pricey, air box & air flow is wasteful, cheap cold air intake available.

4Runner 4ever
By Papa

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

The most reliable vehicle I have owned! After 10 years, my 4Runner is as solid as the day I drove it off the lot. I think I will pass it on to my grandson who is currently 9 years old.

No unscheduled maintenance; turning cycle; the right size for what ever I need to do, i.e. haul the boat, haul landscaping rocks, travel out of town.

More horsepower

Only Toyota For Me!
By Amanda

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this car! I have had it for almost 6 years now. I've taken it to the shop twice, and I drive it A LOT. I will only own Toyotas from now on.

I love that it is high and I can see over people. I think it's kept me out of many possible accidents. It is great in the snow.

Gas mileage could be better but it actually isn't that bad.

Bought new
By Jim Z

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this vehicle for nine years and 165,000 miles so far. The only habitual problem with this truck are its front disks - they warp much too quickly (on third set). I, also, get around 18 mpg in mixed driving (20 on highway trips), but this vehicle is made for off-roading so its suspension and drive train are beefy. Handles snow great (4WD), but squirrelly in rain (2WD). Very tough truck. My wife was in an accident, ended up going down an embankment, hitting a tree and bending the frame. Not hurt. Through it into 4WD, drove back up the hill and drove home. You can add a lot of gear in back without throwing off its handling. Very comfortable on trips. Well designed dash and console.

Interior design. Retractable rear window. Storage room. Nice room for rear seat passengers. Electric rear heater (very nice in the winter). Heated side mirrors. A/C and heater work quickly. Exterior doesn't look dated.

Front disks warp too easily! Not a good choice for very tall people. Older people have a hard time climbing in.