Used 1998 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Best SUV on the Road, Hands Down !!!
By Theroses

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the SUV after running from a hurricane in NC with my Oldsmoble D88 and the olds died in the middle of 4 lanes of trafic 20miles long. I called a close friend and he said I could use his old 4Runner to get out of town and we did, safely at that. After this life altering event passed and we got home safely I went to a local dealership to look at Toyotas. I bought this 4Runner with 30K, now it has 175K and runs as great as day 1. This SUV has been on beach where other can't go and now I live in upstate NY so its tackled its share of major snow storms with ease. I love it! Now my son drives an 89 toyota pickup, my daughter a 96 Corolla and my wife a 02 Avalon, Im sold on Toyota!

Toyota quality, form, fit and function! The 6 cylinder is as powerful as I could ever want. I towed my son's Toyota 89 pick-up 600 miles from NC to NY when I bought it and hardly noticed I was pulling anything. The over quality inside and out sets this SUV well out in front of the rest of the pact.

The front seat cup holder location as you read in other reviews is not ideal. Gas mileage is not as good as I'd like but compared to comparable SUVs it's pretty good at around 20-23 mpg.

Love It!!
By Biffers

1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my 4Runner. Always wanted one and finally found the right one. For its mileage, there is not one squeak or rattle inside. I went from a large truck to this, when driving it feels like you're in a station wagon :) I have a couple friends who have 4Rs with 300000 miles and up, proper maintenance and they will go a long time. Only thing is the fuel mileage in town is around 15mpg . Not too bad for a heavy suv. The comfort and ease of driving it well makes up for that though. Highly recommended!

Stereo CD unit. Ease of the 4x4 system (one button). Firm ride. LOTS of room, rear seats fold all the way down for added carrying room. Power everything.

Can't think of anything to be honest.

My Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD
By Bandit13

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I was pleasanly surprised with this 4Runner. Rides smooth, no interior or exterior rattles. Steering is great in town and on the freeway. I feel the 3.4 engine has more than enough power for my needs. The A/C is great and all passengers get the cold air. The fuel mileage could be better. I get 16 mpg in the summer months with the A/C always on. In cooler weather without the A/C on I get 19 mpg. This is all city driving. On the freeway 24 mpg is the norm. I do use an K&N air filter, and synthetic oil, and Toyota oil filters. And 87 octane fuel. It's great SUV. I plan to keep it many years.

Handling, road feel, visibilty all around. Quiet interior. Cold A/C.

The cup holders are located in a terrible position above the stereo and CD player, and console. That could have been designed better.

Excellent and Fun
By DC in Texas

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I wish I would never have tried anything else. This vehicle is dependable, stylish, built to last.

Surprisingly agile for a 4x4 SUV, trust this truck.

None.

Even Toyota Builds Lemons
By alw

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

The 4Runner is a very practical vehicle, handling well in all weather and road conditions and hauling dormroom-bound cargo with ease. Unfortunately, this vehicle came with a defective master cylinder, dropped a transmission at 80000 miles, and has had numerous switch, latch, lamp, park brake, etc. failures throughout its life. I will be hesitant to buy another Toyota because of the poor company and dealer response to the numerous issues.

4 wheel drive, manual transmission, V6 engine, power moon roof.

Better quality control for vehicles leaving the factory. Better dealer and company response to customer issues. Being told that dropping brake fluid levels was "normal" in a new vehicle was ridiculous.