Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

luvmosyo
By mosyo

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the original owner. I traded my 1991 BMW 325i for the 4Runner and have never looked back. It starts every single time I turn the key. One day after I had the vehicle for 7 years, it hesitated a little when I started it. I replaced the original Panasonic battery and it went right back to 100%. I had to have the antenna replaced once about 3 years ago. Other than that, the vehicle has served me flawlessly through my days as a single active duty Naval officer, my early married life and now with 3 kids and 3 dogs. My Siberian Husky never misses an opportunity to ride in "Mo's Yo!" I plan to keep my 4Runner until it won't go anymore - I'm thinking another 10 years. Thank you Toyota.

I like to use the 4 wheel drive in bad weather. I like sitting relatively high up off the road. I can hardly stand to drive a regular car because it seems so low. The automatic rear window lets my Husky flirt with the people behind us.

Could use a little more leg room in the back seat so that my stepson isn't always stepping on the base of my seat belt, thereby choking me while I am trying to drive.

Great truck, not-so-great mpg, Good buy!
By Maki

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

My first SUV. Bought it with 69K miles, now has 73K. Love the styling in and out, though THE FRONT CUPHOLDERS ARE HORRIBLE!!! Everyone complains about them because they're in an awful location and they vibrate! I'm planning to retrofit the newer 4Runner cupholders as others have done. Other than that, it's a great truck! No problems whatsoever. Just change oil/filter every 3K and add gas, you can go anywhere. I take it snowboarding every weekend, drives great in the weather though I use chains in the snow...no 4WD. This car is a classic example of Toyota quality and no-nonsense styling. Toyota covered all of its bases, except the aforementioned cupholders and a little lack of grunt.

Toyota quality, styling, power rear window, fold- down rear seats.

Cupholders need to be moved off the dash and on the center console near the E-brake! Needs liftgate. Maybe a little more power and better fuel economy?? But who am I kidding... you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The best mid-size SUV!!
By Paul

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4-Runner in July of 2003 in Houston with 53,000 miles on the odometer...it's now February of 2006 and it has 72,000 miles. I drove it home the same weekend I purchased it to Las Vegas. As you know, it gets blistering hot here in the desert and I'm proud to say that the vehicle does great here in Vegas. I try to park it in the garage, but with my FJ40 project going on in there it spends half the time in the driveway. The paint has faded just a bit but I wax it and it still looks great. One of the first things I did was get the windows tinted as dark as possible. It gets over 180 degrees inside but the interior's holding up great..there's one small tear in drivers seat crease

The reliability...it always starts up and gets you to the top! A couple weeks ago went up some foothills outside of Vegas. There was some loose rock and shale up there, I put it in 4X and I was pleasantly suprised by the performance of the truck.

MORE POWER..Better gas milage :) Slightly larger fuel tank..I wish the clock didn't flicker..Better rear window wiper..Better carpet in back cargo area.

4Runner owners beware of Transmission
By Disappointed

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased 4Runner used (w/ 75K miles) from a dealership with high expectations regarding the quality and realibity of a Toyota. At 146K the Transmission went out which is not much better than the Ford Taurus we owned. The cost to replace the Transmission was $4500, OUCH! We decided to rebuild instead which cost around $1800.

Great looking suv from the outside. Wife likes being up higher than the other cars for visibility.

Design a transmission that will live up to the reputation of a Toyota. Move the cup holders so they don't block most of the instrumentaion.

Best SUV
By 1st time 4runner

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used from a dealership who did all service and fluid changes before selling the vehicle. Have put on 8000 miles without any problems This SUV is decent, well built and reliable. It does not give troubles, just need gas and oil change then it'll bring you anywhere. Driving feelings are of dafety, good visibility and comfort.

Body style, rear window, spare tire storage, sun roof.

Cupholder; transmission gear stick in left of distribution dear stick; Longer wipers