Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

High miles, low costs
By captron2

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Swallowed my misgivings and bought this SUV with 118,000 on the odometer. Car now has 190k miles. 4Runners, I learned the hard way, have one generic flaw: rear axle seals. I have had to replace them twice. If there's gear oil in the rear brake drums, plan on spending $1000 to repair. Otherwise, no problems whatsoever. V6 gives decent mileage, too: 20 in city, as much as 26 on highway if you can drive a steady 63 mph.

Great for road trips, comfortable leather seats, great sunroof.

Cupholders a joke. Solid rear axle gives rough ride on bumpy roads.

1997 4Runner Fan
By James

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4Runner used with 44K on the odometer and have really enjoyed this ute with over 100K miles logged on it during my ownership. It is a great ride and I enjoy the five speed. It's my daily driver, but has seen complex off-road trails. Beyond regular oil changes, I replaced the clutch at 140K on the odometer as well as the oxygen sensors on the left bank of the V6 engine. The antenna is broken (second time) and I elected to get Sirius radio instead of paying a dealer $330 to repair this costly item. A spring-loaded clip on one cup holder is broken - dealer quote to repair is over $125. I've decided to live with the broken clip versus paying a dealer to fix this item.

Ride is comfortable, one of the only SUVs with a rear window that lowers, 4wd easy to engage & disengage, climbs hills offroad with ease, lots of cargo room, nice stereo. Controls easy to operate.

Overall, this is a great vehicle, but I'm peeved that it would cost me $330 to get AM/FM radio reception restored to my truck. Toyota needs to get a reliable retractable antenna on this vehicle - get rid of the wimpy plastic cable that breaks inside the antenna motor and jams the motor.

135,000 miles and still going strong!
By Adam

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm the second owner of this awesome SUV, and it's been a pleasure to own. My wife and I purchased the vehicle with 98k miles, drove it across the US to California, and since then it's taken us on many a trip on the west coast. Great off road (excellent ground clearance). Sometimes wish for more power, but the gas mileage is great so I can't complain too much. Great vehicle!

Off road capability, comfort, gas mileage.

Newer models seem to have addressed any issues with the 4Runner.

Awesome Used SUV
By Steve Kania

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Outstanding value through and through! Runs and looks great! Extremely durable and reliable and gets much better gas mileage than I thought it would. Have over 150,000 miles on it and it looks like it'll go another 150,000!

luvmosyo
By mosyo

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the original owner. I traded my 1991 BMW 325i for the 4Runner and have never looked back. It starts every single time I turn the key. One day after I had the vehicle for 7 years, it hesitated a little when I started it. I replaced the original Panasonic battery and it went right back to 100%. I had to have the antenna replaced once about 3 years ago. Other than that, the vehicle has served me flawlessly through my days as a single active duty Naval officer, my early married life and now with 3 kids and 3 dogs. My Siberian Husky never misses an opportunity to ride in "Mo's Yo!" I plan to keep my 4Runner until it won't go anymore - I'm thinking another 10 years. Thank you Toyota.

I like to use the 4 wheel drive in bad weather. I like sitting relatively high up off the road. I can hardly stand to drive a regular car because it seems so low. The automatic rear window lets my Husky flirt with the people behind us.

Could use a little more leg room in the back seat so that my stepson isn't always stepping on the base of my seat belt, thereby choking me while I am trying to drive.