Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Does whatever I ask of it.
By Justin

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 4Runner a little over a year ago with 111,000 miles and it was wrecked. I repaired the damage, installed a small lift, larger tires an HD hitch and electric brake controller. I bi-weekly haul 1-2 tons on my tandem axle trailer with very little problem. My 4Runner is a manual trans so I make the most of the power it has. I also off road it harder than one should their daily driver but this little rig is extremely capable and fun to trail run with the family. I also having been driving more lately putting on 1500-2000 last month and been getting 19 mpg consistently. I have nothing but good things to say about my beat up little 4Runner-wait one negative needs more headroom!!

Factory Locking rear differential, mpg, power it has with 5-speed.

Stiffer rear springs, route the rear heat lines so you cant catch them on stuff and leak coolant all over.

PA salt killed my frame
By brian.

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

1997 4Runner SR5 4WD. Bought it 7 yrs old with 103K miles. Replaced antisway bar link a year later and noticed a lot of new frame surface rust. 5 years since i bought it the frame rusted through. What a shame, it was a typical strong, solid Toyota. It would have run for 100K or more no problem.

Solid all around SUV. Find a clean well maintained and run.

Better rustproofing. More power.

Excellent Daily Driver
By Bears Fan

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

With 310,000 miles on the 4Runner, it has not had one problem with reliability. I did only routine maintenance and changed all fluids and oils regularly. This car has gotten me from coast to coast in the US with no worries about reliability. Ride is very comfortable for long trips, and this car is amazing to drive in harsh snow conditions. I have not been stuck once.

Reliability, comfortable ride, great snow traction.

Keep up the great work Toyota!

Keeps on ticking
By VDA

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been the owner for this car for the past 12 years and have spent less than $1000.00 total in repairs (excluding routine tune-ups, tires and oil changes). This car is amazing, never breaks down. It has 140K miles and is still going strong. Great investment. Very comfortable ride.

Seats, and interior size. Rides high off the road.

Gas mileage is bad, very thirsty car.

Best SUV Ever?
By Barry Bumm

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle used with 98,000 miles. It has been a machine! Routine maintenance, tires, brakes,and the timing belt and water pump replaced at 100,000 and 200,000 miles. Electric antenna has gone out twice. This has been hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. Gas mileage with V-8 has been 18 avg with 23 on interstate. Great off road as well. I will miss this as I am handing it off to my daughter as she heads to college. I'm sure it will have a good time too!

Compact and solid.