Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Excellent truck
By JW

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

My 4Runner has been a wonderfully solid, reliable, and capable vehicle. I regularly drive it on rugged 4WD roads during camping trips in the Sierras, Death Valley, and Arizona (e.g. Sunflower Mine, Coke Ovens) and it has never let me down. It has a surprisingly large cargo area and my girlfriend and I can stretch out and sleep in the back (5'9"). The visibility is great, it's easy for anyone to drive, and even after 212,000 miles the V6/auto combination gives me 22 mpg on the highway at 70 mph which I'm quite happy with for an SUV. I'll be keeping this one past 300K.

Reliable, low maintenance, durable, good looks, four wheel driving capability, good resale value, rear window rolls down, smooth shifting tranny.

Would rather not have a retracting antenna, power is just adequate but would not want to sacrifice gas mileage, oil filter hard to reach, stiff ride, goes about 400 miles per tank but I would appreciate a larger tank.

Good Bye to a Great Old Car
By GreenWay

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV

It has been great to drive this car around! Bought it with 104K miles on the teller which today stands at 145K. This is farewell and a tribute to a great car which drove us without letting us down even once! Regular oil changes and a tire change were the only maintenance activities ever done to it! It is going to a new owner after having it replaced by a Honda Pilot.

Very reliable and still very good looking!

Engine a bit underpowered but that has been fixed by now!

Never Gave Me A Problem
By Carolee

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

Great truck, held up in a head on. If I could find my car on a lot or in a driveway somewhere, I would buy it!

Love the exterior.

Cup holders were horrible!

Get excited everytime I drive it!!
By Excited everytime!!

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I just bought this 4runner 2.7L/4 cylinder/manual/rear diff lock four months ago, since I bought this 4runner I never had problems, I just changed brake caliper/changed oil and adjusted the rear brakes, I brought it to my mechanic after buying it and he said when he test drove it, it runs like 6 cylinder, he likes it!! It has 242800k in its engine but man it drives great!! I am planning to keep this truck 'til it drops. Routine check up needs to be followed and this stud will rock!!

Cruise control, engine, handling, reliability, height, a/c, interior, spacious for Asian like me.

Cup holder needs to be moved, manual tranny on reverse creates humming sound, sort of locking every time turning sharp when 4WD is engaged.

Great Ride
By James

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV remains a great ride with over 174K miles on the odometer. Clutch replaced at 144K miles and just swapped-out the shocks within the last month. I stand a 6'2" and fit and picked this vehicle because it drove well and I fit in it. Overall design and reliability of the vehicle is really outstanding and has withstood the test of time. No plans to trade this in for something newer as it is a pleasure to drive. 4-wheel drive has taken me up some advanced trails into the mountains, but it's a daily driver.

4 wheel drive on the fly, rear window that goes down, handles like a passenger car, good instrumentation visual on the dash (save the cup holder on the dash). Ride is very comfortable for long distances. Rear- seat foot heaters.

Cup holder on the dash blocks climate control slides. Power antenna has a nylon draw that snaps about every two years leaving the antenna inoperable.