Used 1991 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

3 blown engines later and no power to boot+more...
By L. Nicholas J.

1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Unfortunately; here's the not so good news in re; my 1991 4 Runner SR5 4 door SUV Manual 2.4L 5 speed 4wd: I love the look of it... the idea of it. My tires are awesome. Interior is nice. But then there's the 'Rear WIndow Issue'. The 'total lack of power with this 2.4L - 4 cyliner motor that I have had to replace 3 times due to the same exact problem... the Oil Pump Filter clogging up and starving the engine of oil, resulting in BLOWN ENGINES. I live near a mountain range and ski area. Well trying to get up the hill with the flow of traffic was always nearly impossible. Attempting to use 4th gear was a NO NO and there was absolutely NO WAY that I would reach 5th gear... if I had the good ole STALL would have happened... so I had to keep the vehicle in 3rd gear at 40MPH... which it could just barely do. The engine is the worst engine that I have ever used in all my years (56 to be exact). It's GUTTLESS. Because of this reoccurring issue with the Toyota 4 Runner I won't use Toytoa anymore. They didn't stand behind their engine when I confronted them with the issue. Sorry to write a negative review, but it's HONEST. Thee other reoccurring issue with the 4 Runners are the rear window Up and Down relay going out. It's a small box that costs $600.00 to buy and then intense labor at the garage to replace it. We're looking at over 1,000.00 for this common occurrence repair. IF the relay fails... you're no longer able to lower the tailgate door, which renders the back of the vehicle storage... UN USEABLE. BAD DESIGN Toyota!!! The worst part for me was that I always dreamed of owning an awesome 4 Runner... when I did, my dream became a NIGHTMARE. And yes, I'm pissed because Toyota did nothing to fix these problems.... to this very day! January 29th 2017
UPDATE: January 31st 2018 ... I've since had a real issue with the Read Window malfunctioning and once it does that, there's no way to open the back because the window will not allow the tail-gate to open with it up at all. There's no way to manually lower it either. The trouble was the Rear Window Relay Switch; which is located on the rear left 1/4 panel underneath the plastic coverings. The part itself is nearly $700.00 and the Labor is intense at nearly $800.00 There is no youtube videos showing how to change that one. I wonder why when everything else is shown? So now the vehicle has come down with and electrical issue where it drains a full charged battery over-night. No idea how or why it's doing that. One thing is for certain, "The Saga Continues on and on..."

I think Toyota should give me a Brand New 4 Runner after all that I've been through, what do you think? This one's been a LEMON.

The best car you will ever have the pleasure of owning
By s0ul_sister

1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is a wild beast. There is literally NOTHING the 4runner can't handle. My friends and I have taken her through streams, rock climbing, mudding and playing in the snow. I am so mean to this car, yet it has never once failed me. It keeps going no matter what you throw at it. Lots of room, reliable engine and it just looks so bad ass! I think it's important that you get the manual version though, because automatics aren't as much fun and don't give as much control. If you want a car that will keep trooping past 250k miles, this is the one for you. Take care of it and you will love it forever.

Clearance, reliability, tolerance, power, design, ease of fixing

I wish there was a heater in the back.

1991 Toyota 4Runner 22re 4X4
By fierceblues

1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 1991 4runner 4x4 5speed 4 cylinder brand new. It now has 265000. Thing runs great....as long as the rig is maintained and not abused it runs forever. Tranny and 4x4 setup is flawless and built like a tank. Engine was rebuilt at 220,000 (probably could have gone much further, but was gonna let my son use it and wanted him to have a very reliable rig) and the truck is a horse mechanically. The driver seat needs recovering and could use a paint refresh.....but it has been one reliable vehicle. I have never regretted buying this truck and was glad I got the 4 cylinder engine...didnt have all the bells and whistles like the 6 cylinder, but man does it just keep on running. If you can pick up a well maintained 4 cyclinder...even with high mileage, you have found a machine that can give you years of reliable service.

Reliable...reliable...reliable. Drive train and engine built like a tank.

The truck that never could get stuck
By blake81

1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

This was my first vehicle. I loved this truck and so did my friends. i had so many people compliment it. I was the 5th owner and the guy before me put on a brush gaurd, rear light covers and a safari rack. My 4Runner came with the tire located on the back of the truck. I took this thing off road all the time and never got it stuck once. MY best friend who is a jeep fanatic ttalked smack all the time until the third or fourth time i pulled him out. Before I went to BUD/s school to be a Navy SEAL i took it out to the rocky mountiains and never had a better time in my life. Sadly i did have a few problems with it that were from beating the crap out of it but all in all this is th ebest truck iv

Off road capability. High ground clearance.

more hp for the v6. 0-60 is 13 seconds

Best wagon for the money
By Don G

1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

Fun to drive, great gas mileage and goes anywhere. It can haul most things a pickup can haul and with the rear air/heat it's always comfy both front and rear. 23 miles per gallon but I replaced the big off road tires with what was supposed to be on there. Smooth and my wife and I love it. I didn't buy it because I had to. I had a brand new truck 6 months ago and sold it when I found this little 4x4 and am glad I did. A lot cheaper than most to insure, buy lic. plates for and just a blast to drive. I LOVE TOYOTA.

I love the 22RE engine and mine is a 5 speed manual. I love how tall it sits and it makes it easy to get into and out of. I traded a golf cart for a 1989 Toyota pick up and really liked it but the 6 cylinder was hard to work on and it sat low so I went looking for a 4runner and found mine.

I guess most would like more power, I am a 60 year old retired male and I love the gas mileage more than I need power. I do want the roof rack and will put one on but other than that.. well I am totally happy.