Skip to main content

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your trim:
What should I pay
12345...9

We have a limited number of reviews for the 2021 Model S, so we've included reviews for other years of the Model S since its last redesign.

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

This Car Spoils You

Phil, 06/17/2019
2019 Tesla Model S 100D 4dr Sedan AWD w/Prod. End 1/19 (electric DD)

I am 54 years old and this is by far the best car I have ever owned. I am spoiled and cannot go back to normal cars. The cars technology continues to be updated every couple of months... automatically like an iPhone. I have had the car 18 months and it hasn’t needed any servicing. Life without gas stations is wonderful! I charge the car in my garage and it charges within five or six hours. The stated mileage is very accurate, I get about 300 miles while driving 10 above speed limit. Super chargers are able to charge the car from near empty to 336 miles in about about an hour and 20 minutes. This is not a car for a long road trip, too much trouble lining up super chargers, but great for any under 300 miles.

5 out of 5 stars

S - The absolute best car we've ever owned.

R Woodward, 07/16/2019
2019 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

We had a 17 S 90 D for 2 years and it only needed service once. Tesla came to our home (rural area) and promptly fixed it under warranty. No other problems. Loved the car. Fun to drive - a completely different world of driving from a gas car. Now have a 19 performance L and REALLY love this car. Blistering acceleration when needed, no gas/oil changes and absolutely no problems with Tesla service or getting questions answered. Best navigation we have ever had - simply tell it where you want to go (take me to the bowling alley - drive me to the nearest Chic-fil-A, take me to Myrtle beach, etc.). On trips the navigation guides you from one super charger to another, gives you sufficient charge to get to the next one with reserve and sends you on your way (saving time). All super charges we have ever visited have worked flawlessly. This car gets the equivalent of over 100 mpg so our fuel bill is roughly 1/4 what it would be in a gas car. Offsets much of the premium price of the car. Great audio and on the x-way it really does drive itself. I fully agree with the previous poster - I am completely spoiled - could never go back to an ICE car.

Best car ever!

Andrei Gasic, 11/28/2019
updated 06/04/2020
2019 Tesla Model S Long Range 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

Let me preface by saying that my 2020 model S long range vehicle is my third Tesla. I traded in my 2016 Tesla model S (built with new facia August 2016). My odometer was at approximately 46,000 miles. The car went to the shop once in the entire time that I owned it, replaced front rotors that became warped (probably from my rapid stopping). I have a 47 AMP 220 V charging station at my home. I commute every day 80 to 100 miles round-trip. Over a three-year period my battery degraded 3%. So when it came time to upgrade to a 2020 model (Built November 2019) I knew exactly what I wanted. My long range vehicle achieves 370 miles versus my old model S 75D which had approximately 250 mile range. I purchased a vehicle with white interior and blue exterior. The wheels were 19 inch carbon color(a must!). I have driven almost 1000 miles miles on my vehicle thus far. Now comes the fun part. The 2020 model is a vastly different vehicle than the 2016. The acceleration, drive and interior noise has been vastly improved. There have been some upgrades to the interior that improve the overall comfort. This model is equipped with hardware Version 3. Driving and handling is absolutely amazing. I can compare this to my previous vehicles which include Porsche turbo Carrera (2015), Boxster S (2014), Mercedes CLS and GLC. The only vehicle that approaches the driving experience and stability with handling is my Porsche Boxster, a mid engine vehicle. Tesla benefits from a excellent center of gravity due to a monolithic battery pack that is under the vehicle. Additionally, a computer controlled air suspension system provides handling beyond the reach of any vehicle I have ever driven. Compared to an internal combustion engine, this vehicle is clean, amazingly reliable and potentially could be the last vehicle many people would want to own. My old Tesla though I say I traded it in, went to a good friend of mine at the trade-in price. After three years of use the vehicle had lost approximately 30% of its value. Very few top end luxury cars will retain this kind of value. At almost 50,000 miles the car was barely broken in. My desire to trade up had more to do with technology. Auto pilot on the 2020 model has yet to achieve its full potential, but is a significant improvement from my 2016 model. I can’t imagine driving a vehicle without auto pilot on a daily hundred mile round-trip commute. I return home every day refreshed. I am able to operate the vehicle all the while being able to conduct business calls, which as a high acuity physician working out of a level one trauma hospital center is a must. Finally, range-anxiety is a syndrome only applicable to people who own electric vehicles. I must say, my 2016 model S with 250 mile range did provoke some low-level anxiety on long trips. However, with the long range version this has dissipated completely. I have never had any issue at any supercharging station on long trips. With a vehicle that now achieves close to 400 miles on a single charge, charging at a supercharger station is faster than before. I must agree with some of the other comments regarding frustration level when purchasing the vehicle and trying to reach customer service at any given Tesla store or repair center. However, I must say that this is the most responsive Company when it comes to servicing your vehicle. My Tesla app allows me to make an appointment almost seamlessly. For minor issues Tesla will send a mobile repair person to your home or work. They are able to do the majority of the common issues on their mobile unit. No other car manufacturer offers this type of service. I will never purchase another internal combustion engine vehicle and will remain a loyal Tesla customer because they are currently the leader in the electric vehicle technology and experience. Seven months into my ownership I have racked up 8000 miles. The vehicle has performed flawlessly. I have had no mechanical issues. Several software upgrades later I am enjoying the entertainment center it provides. I now have Netflix, Hulu and other streaming services I can use when the vehicle is idle at charging stations or having prolonged waits. Additionally, the vehicle now recognizes stop signs, stop lights and other signs. Auto pilot continues to improve. It is getting closer to autonomous level. I have experienced approximately 2–3% battery degradation, which is expected in the first 4-6 months. Overall, the range is exceptional. Compared to my 2016 model S, this is a technologically vast improvement.

1 out of 5 stars

Great design horrible build

Adam in Colorado, 12/04/2021
updated 06/06/2022
2021 Tesla Model S Long Range 4dr Sedan AWD w/Prod. End 11/21 (electric DD)

The design of this car is amazing. Auto pilot is great on the highway though it requires that you jiggle the steering wheel (yoke) to know you are there which is kind of annoying as my hand is on the wheel just not torquing it enough. The build quality however is miserable. Panel gaps are all over the place, they actually have a tool to know if things are bad enough to fix so they rehung my door but left the rest all a little crooked, unacceptable for the price. This of course leads to a loud whistling sound at higher speeds. They heard the sound when I took the service personnel for a drive but decided they can't find the cause so it isn't a problem. Service is so bad I told my father to cancel his order. Update: whistling was a missing roof seal, finally found it after 3-4 visits, has to replace roof twice but now roof rattles and squeaks and they just gave up on fixing it and said it isn't a warranty issue of a brand new car. Also had 2 parking sensors fail. 14 service visits and out of service 5 weeks in the first 3 months of ownership.

1 out of 5 stars
2 out of 5 stars

Model S P100D

Drew-NY, 12/24/2019
2019 Tesla Model S P100D 4dr Sedan AWD w/Prod. End 1/19 (electric DD)

I recently traded a 2017 Porsche for a Model S P100D and I can honestly say that I've never loved a car more than my P100D. This is my first EV and the driving experience is on another level. It's my favorite car so far and I've owned many fast cars in the past 20 years, including: a Porsche 911 Carrera S, 911 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo, Macan Turbo, Acura NSX, 2 BMW M5, BMW 650 Gran Coupe, Callaway Corvette, Audi S8, MB CL600, ML63, E63, CLS 63, and an Acura NSX (most had ECU tunes). So a year ago, I never even thought about buying an EV until the day I went to lunch with a client in his Tesla Model S. I was totally speechless and I couldn't stop thinking about that car in the days/weeks ahead. Long story short, I traded my Macan Turbo which I owned for less than a year for a P100D. Tesla's offer for my Macan was pretty low but I was told they would match a Carmax offer. I went to Carmax, they offered me $2,000 more, and Tesla matched their offer. The process was a little time consuming and annoying to be honest. Some of the things written by other reviewers in regard to Tesla sales people not returning calls right away etc are true. So was the overall experience a little annoying? Yes..... Did I take a big hit on my Macan trade? Yes..... but when all said and done, was it worth it? Absolutely 100% YES and I have no regrets. I've been a car guy my entire life and I love my Model S more than any other car I've owned. People that know me, all agree I tell it how it is. If I hated the car, I'd have no problem saying it. Btw, I am 100% convinced without a doubt that 1 or 2 of the Model S reviews on here are not real reviews by an actual owner of a Model S. Probably written by a Tesla hater (or maybe written by a confused Tesla short-seller who has been getting mauled lately).

12345...9