Used 2013 Tesla Model S Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Tesla Model S

View reviews for a specific Model S model:

Best car I've ever owned, could never go back
By John Sanders

2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I like to drive cars hard, but hated sticking $70 in the pump every week. I drive a lot and hate driving hybrids with CVTs. So when I could get an all electric performance car I took the plunge. I usually prefer coupes to sedans, but since Tesla no longer made the Roadster, I went with the Model S. I couldn't be happier. The service is excellent, especially compared with my wife's Lexus. If there's ever a problem, Tesla sends a valet out to get my car, leaves me a brand new loaner, fixes and washes it, and then brings it back to my house, all for free. The car is big, but it still gets close to double Prius efficiency, all while I drive it as fast as I want. Charging at home is also very convenient compared to stopping for gas. The only drawback for me is it is slightly more prone to interior rattles than my past vehicles. This could be because it doesn't make any engine noise, but overall it's still much quieter.

No Issues
By Bernie Kuzava

2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

Please to say that after 24,000+ miles no serious issues have arisen. These are great cars.

Tesla model S flawed design
By solarguy888

2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I took delivery of my Tesla85 1 month ago and it is a highly flawed design especially the large touch screen , it would be great to know the figures on how many Tesla model s cars have been involved in accidents i will guarantee it is higher than the average what ever that may be ,needless to say I contacted Tesla with my concerns on 4 separate occassions and have heard nothing, great customer service, this car cost $130000 in Australia .It will be interesting to see in the near future whether they persist with this touch screen but if enough safety authorities get hold of this design flaw it could mean a recall what would that cost.

none

Re design is needed they have missed a huge market sector with the over the top tech ,we have an aging population who all eventually will be on some kind of fixed income pension annuity etc they have the money to purchase and obviously a car that requires minimum expense when it comes to fuel and servicing would fulfill this niche .Wake up Elon not everyone is 35 years old and walks around bumping into people because they can't take their eyes of their iphone.

Great drivetrai + beta software
By evdriver1

2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I own 2013 model 85 that has 17k miles on it. Great drivetrain, power and handling. Interior is good but not on par with Germans. Quality of materials and assembly probably like Volvo. 2014 models may be better. Fortunately Tesla have been fixing squeks, creaks and leaks. Drive unit developed whine, replaced. Sunroof seals replaced. Glovebox stuck, replaced. Software is hit and miss, feels like perpetual beta. Service center is useless if issue is in software. 4.x was OK. 5.0 - garage opener started to work every other time. Some next version fixed it. 5.11 randomly rebooted. 5.12 seemed stable. 6.0 added calendar which doesnt sync with iphone 6. Make sure you read forums and blog comments.

UPD: Sold at 30K. Did not buy another. Will wait some until software stabilizes. Don't feel like paying $100K to be a tester.

Best Car I Have Owned
By sanfraned

2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I very seldom write reviews, but after reading a couple of lousy reviews about the Tesla S, I feel compelled to do so. And by the way, I own a Tesla S.
I didn't just borrow it for a week and my views are about the car, not about what I wish or about the stock market.

I have had the fortune of being able to own some awesome cars over the last 20 years.
Mercedes SL600, E55, S55, SL63, Nissan GTR, Porsche Turbo, Bentley Silver Spur, and the Tesla S. All great cars.

Without a doubt, this is the most amazing car I have driven.
It is a technology marvel, a power monster, and incredible fun to drive. It is reliable, inexpensive to run and soooo quiet. So great not to have to buy gas

The large screen is not a distraction at all, it is the command center for the car. The functions are intuitive or very easy to learn and the navigation system is one of the easiest to use. The interior is consistent with the car, very sporty, comfortable and not cheap at all. The ability to open or close the car, warm up or cool down the interior, or always see the location of the car from a remote location, all on your phone or tablet is awesome. The car is software driven, so many features or performance changes are made through downloads directly to the car. And now with the supercharger stations, I can go coast to coast, or from Seattle to Los Angeles free.

A 4 wheel drive Model S would be great for those trips to the ski mountains in the winter