Used 2002 Suzuki XL-7 Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Suzuki XL-7

View reviews for a specific XL-7 model:

Long-Term Use Report
By SFBay

2002 Suzuki XL-7 Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Got my Suzuki XL-7 in 12/01 and still like it today after 53,000 miles. It was the best SUV for the money at the time with its 3rd row seats and REAL part-time 4WD. I commute with it and now after break-in, I’m getting 20 mpg, I only got 17 mpg before. My XL-7 feels heavy but still it is still fun and sporty to drive. It did really well at the off-road course I took last year. The only problem I had was a coolant leak which may be the dealer's fault. I recommend regular trans/diff fluid changes. And the original tires are lousy, mine were bald at 15,000 miles. Go with Yokohamas, mine are still like new after 30,000 miles. I solved my oil filter access problem by cutting a hole at the wheel well and bolted on an aluminum sheet door. The colored weather strips have all faded.

The 3rd row seats, real 4WD performance in snow, and it looks great in the gold color. It has lots of great standard features in the Touring model! The whole concept of this small 3 row SUV is so good, Toyota has made one with the new RAV4.

The 17 gallon gas tank is too small which gives me < 300 mile range - even a 20 gallon tank would have been better. Get better dealers.

XL-7 review
By lara

2002 Suzuki XL-7 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I am so disappointed with this vehicle. The third row is too small for even my children to fit comfortably. The car has electrical problems, the keyless entry doesn't work, my interior light and headlights go out frequently and need to be replaced. I have had problems with my brakes (I don't know if its the car or the place that keeps fixing them).

None

Give it more room.

Love my SUV
By carrie

2002 Suzuki XL-7 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my XL-7 for 3 months and I still love it. When I was first shown one I had no knowledge of it. I drove it and liked it, but the dealership was asking too much. So I found another one online, LOVED the color, test drove it in the snow and I had to have it. I drive about 40 miles roundtrip to work each day and the gas isn't as bad as I had expected. It is very roomy inside and accommodates my 6'5" fiancee. I would definitly reccommend it to anyone.

I like ow it has lots of head room, is comfortable, drives great, has lots of cup holders, and has heated rear view mirrors.

It needs a wider build.

Great SUV for the Price
By bookburner451

2002 Suzuki XL-7 Plus 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I needed a bigger vehicle for family transport. The XL-7 seats 7 (five adults+ 2 kids in the 3rd row) comfortably with luggage. It's great for trips to the grocery store. This truck is fun to drive and looks sharp, but needs to get better gas mileage (17 mpg).

Feels like a truck, but drives like a car. Low center of gravity. Nice handling and enough power.

Better gas mileage; Higher quality interior materials. Stronger support for roof luggage rack.

Let Me Down
By tlambert

2002 Suzuki XL-7 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I am very disappointed with my Suzuki XL-7. At 48,000 miles the air compressor pump/belt went out. It cost $1,600 to replace! I live in Oregon, and only use the A/C 6 weeks of the year!

Improve the reliability.