Used 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Consumer Reviews - 167 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:

Love it, every day I get in it!!
By gruss

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second GV. Sure the mileage could be better, but it's right there on the sticker when you buy it. I generally drive a couple of miles below the speed limit or right at it. So my mileage is great, 30hwy. Great stereo system and the six of my CD's of the moment sound great through the speakers and sub!! Seats are very comfortable, like your favorite chair. It is longer than the previous model, and it was noticed, in backseat room and cargo space. I can't say I needed it and I liked my '99 better in that respect, but I got over it. To you, drive it, love it, buy it, and love it again everyday 'till you are ready for a new one! I know, and will get another when the time comes.

On the wheel stereo controls and cruise features, stereo/6cd changer/speakers/sub, comfort, performance, handling in snow and rain, and it's all around pretty darn awesome.

Although the extra space is nice for riders. I particularly liked the shorter/smaller version from the previous model. My little SUV isn't so little anymore. But, small price to pay for a great car!

I think it's a good SUV
By drdud

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased in may of 2006 ( V6 ),the first year milage was rough , but now i'm getting 20 plus around town and 25 plus from the N.E. corner of Pa to Phila a 120 mile run . Mostly on the turnpike .Its a pleasure to run the pike with this smooth riding and running SUV. I'm pretty pickey . I have purchased 15 new cars and trucks over the years not counting the used ones . I rate this very Good and its easier for me to get in with my bad back then a subaru which is too low.

its pretty , heated seats , running lights ,good sound system ,good pep quiet,Love the ability to put it in 4x4 any time I want , etc.

Tilt wheel ,display in dash with temp and milage (can't see in the day time).

Great for 3 years...
By Cascades Hiker

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my G.V. new and enjoyed 3 years of problem-free transportation. At 38,000 miles, the engine failed and required significant work to replace a broken 2 part gear which drives the Cam. The work took more than 6 weeks to complete. 3 weeks after the vehicle was returned to me, it broke down again. Yet more engine work took 4 weeks to complete. Throughout this experience, I learned that Suzuki's Customer Service is poor despite their claim of America's best powertrain warranty. After deciding I could no longer rely on this vehicle, I traded it in for a 2009 Toyota RAV4. Never again will I purchase a Suzuki product.

Appearance (interior and exterior).

Reliability is extremely poor. Fuel economy is awful (17-18 miles combined). Radio reception is poor.

i loved it
By er1ca2000

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I was actually a little skeptical of buying an SUV but this little thing had changed my mind. It had plenty of room for all our kids' stuff, roomy backseat and windows that roll all the way down in the back. It is fun to drive and handles very well for an SUV. I do wish that it got better gas mileage but that is a factor that i am willing to sacrifice. It looks cute, and i LOVE driving it in the mud puddles around the house. Most of the time it is a muddy mess but after a trip to car wash it reveals perfect paint. NO fading or anything else. I might mention it is black. My opinion... 2 thumbs way up. We will buy another if we are ever able to give this one up. 44000 miles at purchase

Stereo

gas mileage

Dissappointed overall
By tonyw

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Have 48,600 miles on this vehicle. Regret buying it to replace a Mits. Montero LX. Really poor mpg, underpowered. Handles well after replace OEM Yokohama tires, which lasted only 20,000mi. Have had to replace the driver's seat cover because of poor fabric quality. Second will not last, either. Very cheap upholstery and even cheaper carpet (have covered with rubber mats). Brakes are spongy (common complaint) low-beam headlights have shadows and point at the pavement (can't be adjusted). Have an intermittent engine miss or transmission slip dealer can't find. Have ping in a u-joint that dealer replaced a faulty rear hub instead. Overall, this is not worth the money and has not held value.

Stereo and cd player are fairly good for an inexpensive vehicle. Handles well but rides a bit stiff.

Needs better headlights, brakes, improved mpg, better final drive gear ratio would help mileage. Improve carpet and seat covers. Trim could use improvement, squeaks at times.