Used 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Consumer Reviews - 167 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:

What I love and hate
By Anna

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I LOVE the radio controls on the steering wheel. The look and feel of the car is great. I HATE that its so hard to change the head lights and they burn out often and are uneven at night. I HATE that when the back windows are rolled down half way, a horrible pressure chamber hits your ears and an awful noise fills the car. I'm told this is because the roof is not heavy enough and if we put a rack on top, that won't happen? Oh, brother! It's Apr 2010 and just had a major electrical problem that cost $800 and wasn't covered by the warranty. The back door stopped shutting all the way, got that fixed. The brake light comes on intermittently now. It's hard to see out the small back window.

In-wheel radio controls.

--fix the windows-down problem --more viewing out back --better headlights that don't burn out so often and are easier to change out --keep the in-wheel radio feature on ALL models --more cup holders, I like that you can fit a water bottle in side of door.

best small SUV w/4wd
By dan_at_utah

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I needed a compact SUV with actual low-range 4wd for some seriously steep mountain trails. The choices are basically: this Grand Vitara, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Patriot (kinda), and Toyota FJ cruiser (or old 98-01 4runner) Of those, this is the best deal, bar none. Quite capable off-road, unless the rocks are large (low ground clearance). Gotten me through tight spots in the San Rafael Swell area. Has been perfectly reliable since I bought it @ 30k miles (now has 47k), except for power steering idler pulley needing replacement (known problem - changed for '07+ years). The ride/handling is perfect for me - firm like a truck but handles more like a car.

low-range off-road gearing. Proximity "Smart key" system - gimmicky at first, but unbelievably wonderful! Freaks people out to see me start it w/o a key! Open doors without fumbling in the pockets for the key fob.

More ground clearance. More torque-ey/efficient engine (like in '09+ models!). Change roof rails to a "bar" type for easier aftermarket racks. GPS nav system like european models now have.

Good Buy so far
By mike

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my suzuki with 18,000 miles already on it. The gas mileage is as stated if you drive 55mph or less, at 70mph it drops to 19/21 mpg. engine power is 'avg' but the transmission seems weak. Interior is holding together well, so is exterior. 4-wheel alignment is a must as it comes from the factory way off. The brakes seem to fade away when slowing from high speeds. Undecided if i would buy another Suzuki or not, but i think a better vehicle would be much more expensive.

Seat is fairly comfortable. Most controls are within easy reach.

Needs more engine power, and the transmission needs improvement.

If You Want To Spend Lots Of Money!.....
By Billy Boy

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Buy this suv! I have 49,000 miles now on my 06, I can not keep front tires on it,I am on my third set of tires!I know Suzuki knows of this problem!! Ive talked to a lot of people also having the same problems!Also keep extra headlight bulbs with you! about every3-4 months you will be changing them!As like another reviewer said:you mite as well wipe your crack with the paper the warranty is written on! The belt tension control arm is plastic, so around 45,000 miles it went up, costing me almost $400!Cd player does not work now,i guess the dealer would want about the est value of the vehicle to install a new one. Im very disappointed with you Suzuki!

It is awesome in the snow!

Come on Suzuki! I know you can build a better vehicle than that!

No Problems Here
By Phil

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Great small SUV that's fun to drive. Have had it just a few weeks, but have had no problems with it. The only thing I don't care for is the gas mileage, seems I'm stopping more often than i use to with my Olds Silloutte I traded for it. It however does have smaller tank too. It is very peppy though when it comes to getting out on the highway which I like.

Stereo 6 CD changer with sub, has a great sound. All at your convienence on the stearing wheel too. The interior height is nice as well as the room inside. The peppy 2.7 V-6.

The tilt wheel is lame and the gas mileage are my only two suggestions that need to be looked at.