Used 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:

Could drive into a wall and still work!
By Andrew

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

From an engine standpoint, the only problem I had was with the exhaust system rusting out. This truck keeps on going and going. I believe that it would probably run without oil! (only joking). I am now on my second Suzuki (XL-7), but it had that GM body (everything else is great, except the GM stuff). The 2001 units are great and will last a long time, as long as you take care of it.

Engine quality.

Seats, remove arm rests (they are useless), more internal storage, window switches could be made better, better gas mileage.

4 wheeling in A/C comfort
By Ralph

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I live in the Mohave Desert of Calif and do a lot of off roading on very bad, rocky, dirt roads, dry stream beds. That's what I bought it for. mpg 18 town, 23 hwy. 126k miles, run Mobil 1, replaced tires, dash temp control, tune up,brakes, in all these miles. I take this where 4x4 trucks and larger 4x4's won't go because of the limited size. Interior is leather, comfortable, seats 5, fold down rear seats for anything,paint has held up in our sun with wax but bushes have put desert pen stripes everywhere. I intend to get another used one with a tow bar installed so I can tow it behind my truck and camper.

4 x 4 and turn radius, off road capabilities, snow and sand handling are great

2 inches higher clearance

Great Choice in Vehicles
By Shelly

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle new in 2001 after doing a lot of research. I could be happier with my choice. I love it and have never had a real issue with this SUV. The only maintenance has been oil changes, windshield wipers and tires - it still has its original brakes, etc. It did have one minor recall issue that was fixed easily by the dealership. I have done some off-roading and felt very secure. The back end is light, but add a couple of sand bags in the winter and it does great in 4WD. It is a pleasure to drive on or off road.

The comfortable ride, nice power features, and how it has sufficient cargo space with rear seats down.

Increase the size of the driver and passenger areas some.

Great Car for the money.
By Drumscansing

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this vehicle for two years and have not had any problems with it. I get between 21 and 25 miles per gallon. The engine is plenty powerfull for this car. If you want a small SUV this is a good choice. If you want a sportscar or an SUV that rides like a Caddy...this is not the car for you. I think the person that rated this car a 1.1 must have had a bad experience and should have bought a more expensive, larger car. This is a great car for the money! I have never had a car that "Held" it's value! I have had to sell each one of them at a loss or traded-it in on a new car.

Manuverability (Tight turning), flexibility (It will carry a bunch of stuff), and reliability, (It has started everyday for over two years.) This car has a simple engine with plenty of power. It also has a a full size spare that can be rotated with the rest of the tires.

It could use an opening rear glass gate. Include the luggare rack cross memebers with the base cost of the car.

Zero problems at 51k miles
By Will_C

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Has been an excellent Mini-ute. I have 51,000 miles on it and I have done nothing but oil changes and a new set of tires. I get 24 mpg on a trip and 18 mpg in town. Only problem is that they are made with very thin sheet metal. They dent VERY EASY but I have no rust on it at all.

Easy to drive and park

Use heavier sheet metal on the body.