Used 1999 Suzuki Esteem Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Suzuki Esteem

View reviews for a specific Esteem model:

Bigger engine, better trans for 2001
By MANUEL

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

All in all a good light fun to drive vehicle. Excellent mpg. Had 3 manual transmision repairs. I also met some owners with the same problem. Suzuki did address this with the 1.8 engine which I later swapped, could really feel the extra 27 horses in a 2200 pound car.

Fuel economy, light weight, decent looks

Transmision

Very reliable.
By Steve

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Wagon

This car never breaks down. Very reliable. Very low maintenance car. Can run 200k with some work.

Light. Drives like a sport car.

More options.

I still love my Suzi
By Nikyma

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new off the lot 8 years ago. I still love it. In all this time, all that I've had to do is oil changes and replace tires, brakes and a battery. I've considered getting a newer car, but there's nothing wrong with this one. I'm at 115,000 miles and still no major repairs. In these days of high gas prices, I love that I can still fill the tank for under $40.00 and it will take me everywhere I need to go for a week. I'm keeping this car until it dies. I have a feeling that's going to be a long time.

Gas mileage. Reliability.

It's got everything I need. There could be extras. But for the price I paid, I'm very happy with it just the way it is.

Hate It
By cody

1999 Suzuki Esteem GL 4dr Sedan

I hate this car. I have had so many things go wrong with it. The front subframe rusted out. The CV's went out. This all happened within a four month time span. My '88 Honda is in a lot better shape and it's eleven years older then it.

None

A lot.

Inexpensive Contemporary Wagon
By DKour

1999 Suzuki Esteem GLX 4dr Wagon

I am ompletely impressed with this vehicle. I purchased it used for very little money from an owner that took good mechanical care of it. Cosmetically it could have been better but all his records were there. I have never had a major issue with it, just routine maintenance. Take care of your car and it will take care of you. The ride is a little crude, but when it comes to large bumps the suspension soakes it up with surprise. Its handling is sporty. Compared to other wagons that I tested, this thing is fun. Its cargo capacity is great. Its seats fold totally flat, I carried a week's woth of camping gear and was still able to cover the rear contents with the cargo shade. I'll have to continue to carry my 8 foot kayak inside the car untill I get the roofrack adapters that I need.

How it gets 30+ mpg, station wagon capacity with sports car handling, roofrack, cargo room, and power door locks and windows.

Add a cassette player?