2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Review: I traded this in due a problem

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

I traded this in due a problem never fixed
By tradedcmax on

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

UPDATE: We really loved our Crosstrek, in bright orange, but after driving it for a little bit, I noticed my arm was sore. I didn't really understand why. But I figure it out. It was pulling to the right, constantly, upon any acceleration. As a car guy, I remember torque steer; it was just like torque steer but obvious at all levels of acceleration. The dealer could not fix it. The techs of course denied it happening. But I went and tried a brand new one (this was new too) and no torque steer. So the dealer basically traded it in for this one and put this broken one on the lot as a non-certified pre owned. I was happy but I felt bad for whomever bought it after me.

Anyway, the replacement was fine, until someone stole the wheels and tires off of it while it sat in front of my house.....those are some nice wheels. And after that, I started driving it at I95 rush hour traffic and found it could not handle the speed of I95 with as much grace as it should; it felt wonky. So, I traded it in on a a competitor's SUV. I am so happy I did this, despite losing some cash along the way.

The other problems that surfaced were on the 2nd one, if you had the heater in the bi-level mode, the engine would run rough like it was going to stall. All other modes were okay. The engine is a 60K tune up interval. When cold it had a very fast idle. Reminded me of something from the 80's, fast idle.

Those things said, I also had major problems with my feet hurting after driving for awhile......at 5' 11", I could not stretch out my legs as I would on other cars. That turned out to be a bigger problem that anticipated. And also, the cargo area was smaller than I first realized. My fault for not renting one for a week first, but they are hard to find as rentals.

So, it turns out that these weren't as good as originally anticipated, but probably for many, it would be fine.

• Acceleration

• Repair frequency
  • Dealership support
  • Engine
  • Electronics

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review