2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Review: I loved my Crosstrek, but it n

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Review

Premium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

I loved my Crosstrek, but it needs more power
By noah_early on

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I work in DC, but we own a cabin in Lexington, VA and live in Northern VA.
It handles gravel roads as well as the interstate and can easily surpass the EPA ratings if you drive like a sensible adult. If you are disappointed with your MPG try comparing your odometer with mile markers or GPS.
Mine read almost 2% slow, which means we are actually getting over .6 MPG better than the car calculates. The car would say you had driven 100 miles when you had actually gone 101.9 Our 2005 Forester 2.5X was off in the other direction by over 4% which is why I checked the Crosstrek. If you are behind one that is going a little slow, that is probably why. They don't realize 70 on the speedo means they are only going 67.
The ground clearance is perfect, our 80+ pound lab mix can get in and out of it without the struggle he has with our Jeeps and it has not bottomed out on several rutted, gravel roads.
It burned a little oil. If we went more than 5,500 miles between changes the low oil light would come on. We were going to have the dealer look into that, but it was hit at 19K miles and replaced with a 2015 Forester XT Limited with EyeSight. A drop of less than 3 MPG (26.9 average after 8k miles) and premium fuel for 100 more HP and much more room is a decent trade-off.
Also check visibility before buying. The high belt line and low roof make rear visibility poor for shorter drivers.

• Outward visibility
  • Repair frequency
  • Dealership support
  • Transmission
  • Electronics

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By noah_early
on 09/24/13 08:58 AM (PDT)

Subaru needs to offer the wheels from the Impreza Sport Premium or Forester XT as an optional upgrade on the Crosstrek. I love my car, but the factory wheels look like they belong on a Focus, not a CUV. I bet at least 10% of the 35,000+ people that have bought Crosstreks already would have chosen such a package. Subaru is leaving money on the table

By rivernsnow
on 09/20/13 11:32 AM (PDT)

Not a big issue, butI too have noted that paint seems to scratch easily, white under coat shows. Yes, the tow limit should be higher. Yes to standard backup cameras