Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Best Bang for your Buck! 1st Time Subie Owner
By hittheroadjack

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my Crosstrek Limited in 2013, and I am still trying to find excuses to drive it.
I love it!
It's just the right size for us.
Small and nimble enough to navigate the urban 9-5, but large enough for our weekend adventures.
Plenty of room for toddlers giant car seats, and the height is ideal for them to get in and out.
I have had several 4 cylinder cars, and I think the Crosstrek has more punch than any of my previous ones.
It also rides more smooth and quiet.

<br><br>
UPDATE: After 3 yrs I'm still very happy with this car. I have always felt safe and secure with the Crosstrek's handling on snow and ice. Complaints about the paint are legit. All my door handles have slight stratches, but they are not that noticeable. Had problems with a check engine light due to gas cap. Problem went away when I stopped purchasing 87 octane gas and moved up to 89. Toddler car seats fit well, reverse facing infant car seats will only fit in the middle (which is safer anyway). Other than those minor problems, I am still in love with this car. What I love most is it's versatility. Whether you are dropping kids off for school or hauling rocks the Crosstrek can do it all. Purchased roof rack rails and cargo carrier for long trips & that worked very well. Next week I'm installing a hitch for our bike rack! I'm very pleased!

Always wanted a Subaru and will never get anything else
By emg2211

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Love my crosstrek!! First Subaru ever and I should have got one years ago. Had a mazda3 loved it but horrible in the snow (nurses can't call out for snow storms) and horrible MPGs. So after 5 yrs of almost dying every snow storm in MA I made the choice to get my Subaru and I haven't looked back. I love it. It's safe, great MPGs, awesome in the snow and enough room for friends and my giant dog. If you are looking for a crossover SUV look into it. I will say downsizing engines took a few wks to get used to, pick up isn't as good but it still gets around great. I have about 6500+miles on it.

Heated seats(amazing at 10 degree mornings) Plenty of cargo space MPGs are what they say or better Drives well Great in snow Sunroof Safe

Sun visior is kind of a tight fit Heat is great and warms up fast but my feet are always kind of cold Engine size Sound system needs to be better! My car is the desert khaki, tree droppings from berries and such will stain it be warned. I need to get it buffed, it's not sap it's berry stains. Finish isn't hurt but it somehow has stains all over my car soo bummed!

Great Value & Fun To Drive
By hudsonvalleyny

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 5 speed Crosstrek rides smooth and handles well on rough roads. It's easy to maneuver, easy to park, has a very tight turning radius and zips around town handily. On the highway it feels solid and holds its own at high speeds. AWD is amazing in snow. Stated gas mileage is accurate, but I can do better: 26-30 in mixed, 32-34 hwy. Interior is comfortable but spartan.You have the basic features you need and they're all standard. Acceleration is surprisingly quick especially if you wind out the gears. Hills need a downshift. Gas pedal is more responsive than the rubbery CVT pedal. It's not as solid and spacious as our 2014 Forester but gets way better gas mileage. Wheels get attention!

Heated seats. Bluetooth works fine with Android and Windows phones. Stick shift gives you direct control over power delivery so the car feels very responsive and agile. You can shift early and the car runs very quietly. Very sporty and fun to drive! My mountain bike fits inside without removing front wheel! MPGs are generally as stated, but this really depend on your driving style. In mixed suburban driving I get: Spirited/aggressive 19-22; Normal 26-29; Eco/Miser 29-34 (that's driving with restrained acceleration, careful braking, early shifting, rolling to red lights or coasting in neutral). Not bad considering our 2014 Forester languishes at a disappointing 22 most of the time!

Choice of engine with higher horsepower if desired. Needs a 6th gear for cruising. A heated steering wheel option for those of us in the northeast. And although the cabin is tight enough, it could use a touch more sound deadening material, which is now built in in the new Hybrid.

I guess it hit or miss with these cars!
By cdhttlr

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Crosstrek in August and since than have never been able to achieve anything near the EPA fuel mileage of 25 city/33 highway. Best ever was 30 highway and 22 city and its been slowly dropping since new. I now have 3800 miles on it and the last highway trip 100% highway other than 4 on/off ramps. cruise set on 63 the whole time was 26mpg. I struggle now to get 18mpg around town. I even removed the spare tire and jack and rear cargo and floor mats to reduce weight. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with it and is probably my driving. Really than why did every other car that I've owned get better then advertised MPGs? A total of 12 cars total beaters to brand new.

Excellent Performer in Colorado Mountain Snow
By rockymntnguy

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought my Limited 8 months ago. Already 21K on Colorado highways, mountain roads & Denver city streets. Commute from my cabin near Bailey in mountains an hour to downtown Denver. That drive is on Highway 285 up & down from 5,280 to 11,000 ft. Lots of passing. Then on 2 lane county asphalt road for 3 miles from highway.
Then county maintained gravel road to my cabin.
Have also made many drives on I-70 to for summer hiking & winter skiing areas. Traded a Jeep Commander V-8.
Big change.
Yes, a 4 cylinder CVT takes some finesse but accelerates and passes just fine. I drive it hard & minimum MPG is 27. Get 31 on easier mountain highway trips.
AWD performs well.
Very satisfied.

My goal was the best possible combination of AWD, MPG and Ground Clearance for the lowest price with the best performance in mountain winter snow conditions. The Crosstrek was the perfect fit on paper and has proved to be the perfect fit after 21,000 miles and lots of winter driving. AWD performance is tenacious. Gets me out my steep 60 ft. cabin driveway without shoveling usually. Keeping up with Jeep Wranglers and SUV's on roads in snowstorms and getting twice the MPG. Heated seats, mirrors, wipers, leather work well. Fun to scoot around the city in, easy to park, backup camera useful. Still my Jeep Commander V-8 sometimes. But exactly the smart change I was looking for.

Overhead center storage nook for sunglasses, pens, etc. The optional tray inside the console should have a way to attach and swing up and down instead of having to lift completely out to get to stuff stowed underneath it.