Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

Three years in a CrossTrek
By Maxwell Subatarian

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I leased mine in winter of 2013 and recently turned it in rather than buying it. The CrossTrek is an OK car with good attributes and flaws. On snow it is ok, but not great. With the OEM tires, it was terrible here in northern Michigan. I added a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks which significantly improved traction. But the car is lightweight with makes it prone to sliding around even with awd and winter tires. I did appreciate the car's interior. The firm seats are great and help up over three years and 34,000 miles. There is a surprising amount of room in the passenger compartment, but not too much in the back with the rear seat up. The engine was always very loud on acceleration and got very noisy after about 30k miles - sounded like ball bearings in a coffee can. This is one issue. Subaru needs to put a far more powerful engine in this car. The little 2.0liter, 150HP engine is way under-powered for this car. Mechanically, only a few minor problems the dealer took care of. Big issue was concerns over safety. I nailed a 150 pound deer head-on at 45 miles per hour and the damage to the car was immense ($13,500 bill). The entire front end of the car (bumper, fenders, hood, roof, windshield, lights, numerous engine components due to the battery rupturing) needed to be replaced. It folded up like tinfoil. After that I never felt safe in the car. The sloping front end of the car threw the deer into the windshield in on the front of the roof denting it. Regardless of how many airbags it has one cannot beat the laws of physics. I dreaded the possibility of hitting a truck or large car. That's why it gone. Would not buy another one. If you want a Subaru, go with the bigger ones.

Great little car
By Lc

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In/out easy hip height seats

works great
By l c

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

good small car with super price

I thought they were supposed to be dependable
By Karen

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this Subaru brand new. I liked it at first but found out quickly that it uses A LOT of oil! I was told it's because of the light oil it uses. I put oil in this car more than any other car I've ever owned!! I travel 80 miles to and from work 5 times a week. I took EXTREMELY good care of this car. Faithfully having the oil and filters changed at the dealership as per their suggestions. Having the tires changed or rotated/balanced at their suggestion as well as brakes checked frequently and replaced. Always took to a Subaru dealer and trusted them totally. Now, at 70, 000 miles, I was hearing noises in the front end when I made a turn. I bring it to the Subaru dealer only to find out the front axles are worn to the point they need to be replaced!! What?? This is unheard of in a 2013 car! I plan on taking this 1000.00 dollar fix to the Subaru corporate HQ!! Never buy this car.

Frustrated
By Steph

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have 70,000 on my 2013 cross trek, I have had both front axels replaced due to both failing, I've never gone off road or done anything but normal everyday driving. It took arguing and having to call Suburu directly but they did cover the cost of both. Now my car will not go out of park, apparently another malfunction this car is known for, being repaired tomorrow. I've driven a lot of cars over the years and this is by far the worse car I've ever had, I don't trust it. Shame on Suburu.