Used 2008 Subaru Tribeca Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Tribeca

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

Great car for the money
By Tim O

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Have 12,000 on my Tribeca, and have been very happy. I was shopping for an SUV w/ 4WD/AWD, good reliability and resale, and wanted some luxury appointments (leather, 6 CD, etc) for not much over $30k. I chose the Subaru over all others in class as I was able to get most everything I wanted without having to compromise too much. The inside and exterior styling are very unique, and the interior is more luxurious and sharp looking that the other cars in class. I've had the car for close to a year and have been very impressed. The AWD system is fantastic in the Iowa winters. After having ridden in all of them, I'm happy I chose this over Pilot, Highlander, 4Runner and Edge.

AWD system is great; unique interior; head and shoulder room for driver is fantastic (I'm 6'1"); ease of rear seat folding; not everyone has one; puddle lights are a nice touch; iPod jack; 18" wheels are great; comfy/supportive seats.

Really needs a telescoping steering wheel; center arm rest needs to slide forward so the driver can rest an elbow on there while holding the wheel; the steering wheel mounted radio control doesn't let you scroll through your presets, it just 'seeks' to the next station which is VERY annoying.

Safe and Secure
By Bigtime

2008 Subaru Tribeca 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I leased this vehicle for my sons who went off to school. This is a solid vehicle with excellent safety ratings. It is a substantial vehicle that handles whatever the weather brings. In 3 years mileage will be up substantially for all manufacturers when it it time for a new vehicle. What sold me was the overall passenger room, the styling and safety features. I have not regretted the lease for even a moment. I wish that I were driving it instead of my kids.

Comfortable front seats. Secure handling. Large side mirrors for visibility. Excellent cargo room. One of the safest vehicles on the road.

More second row leg seat room and of course bluetooth capability.

Need shield for a/c condenser
By Judy Adair

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Rear Seat DVD, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Tribeca in Aug. of this yr. and really love it, with a few exceptions. We took a 3600 mile trip up the east coast (being demo it already had 5600 miles on it). Well, on the way home from our trip a rock flew into the a/c condenser and all the freon drained out. I can't believe that there is no protection from flying objects. The cost to repair it was $1080.00! We were shocked about this and had file on our insurance.

wonderful dash lights, gps, holds to the road well in curves, drives smoother loaded down, seat warmers, back tray, puddle lights

Please make a grille of some sort to protect the condenser. Needs better fuel economy. Make back seats easier to pull back. Lights to stay on after leaving vehicle and getting in vehicle from parking.

2008 Subaru Tribeca Review
By Nor Cal

2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the Tribeca since April 2008 and put almost 6000 miles on it so far. The handling of the AWD Tribeca is darn near neutral and the turn in spot on. its fun to drive and comfortable on road trips or in town. The interior and exterior looks compliment each other. I use the transmission in sport mode all the time, either leaving it in drive or shifting up and down. the engine is a lot more responsive & mileage doesn't seem to suffer. One thing that bugs me is that the transmission shifting seems out of sync with the engine at times. The Tribeca doubles well as a tent and carries a lot of "stuff". I don't like the puddle lights though but that's a nil point IMO. Next thing is XM radio.

Handling, ride. Shape & profile. 18" wheels and low aspect tires. Interior appointment, features & lighting, MP3 player dock, grocery bag holders, 110v outlets, mirrors that adjust to light.

Larger gas tank, crisper shifting/engine response. blind spot created by thick front window/windshield pillars. A/C vent system controls confusing. could use more storage for things like CDs and such.

Mixed Bag
By Mr. Subaru

2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

The 08 Tribeca is a mix of great features and questionable design components. The Tribeca is solidly built and handles like a car. The engine is powerful, and the transmission shifts smoothly. Steering and braking are crisp. The cargo area is surprisingly small for a vehicle this size, a tight fit for dogs. The gas mileage is poor (17 mpg mixed) compared to other vehicles in this category, and is compounded by a small gas tank which results in a VERY, VERY short driving range. I was spoiled by my 06 Outback's 500 mile range. The thick A pillar makes turning corners a challenge if pedestrians are present.

AWD, interior design, front seats, powerful engine, smooth shifting transmission. Engine uses regular gas unlike earlier models which used premium.

A 20+ gallon or bigger fuel tank which would compensate for the poor gas mileage. Considering Subarus are popular in snowy areas, better OEM tires would be welcome. An extending steering wheel would be great for those with long legs and normal sized arm lengths.