Used 2008 Subaru Tribeca Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Tribeca

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:

Loss of confidence
By Phil in Blaine

2008 Subaru Tribeca 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased our Tribeca about 18 months ago, and rated it very high. All of that has changed after being stranded 3 times and numerous trips to the dealer who can't or won't resolve the problems. From the beginning there has been a noise in the engine that the dealer and factory reps hear but can't pinpoint, so it goes unrepaired, also it burns oil but not enough to meet their oil consumption criteria. The steering column locks up, and has stranded us three times, you have to beat and bang on the column to unlock it, the tow driver taught me that, and because you can't duplicate the condition, they can't repair it. This is our first Subaru and it will be our last. Maybe we got a LEMON?

Ride and handling, especially in ice and snow conditions. Seating comfort, and ease of entry.

Better customer service!

Great car for the money
By Tim O

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Have 12,000 on my Tribeca, and have been very happy. I was shopping for an SUV w/ 4WD/AWD, good reliability and resale, and wanted some luxury appointments (leather, 6 CD, etc) for not much over $30k. I chose the Subaru over all others in class as I was able to get most everything I wanted without having to compromise too much. The inside and exterior styling are very unique, and the interior is more luxurious and sharp looking that the other cars in class. I've had the car for close to a year and have been very impressed. The AWD system is fantastic in the Iowa winters. After having ridden in all of them, I'm happy I chose this over Pilot, Highlander, 4Runner and Edge.

AWD system is great; unique interior; head and shoulder room for driver is fantastic (I'm 6'1"); ease of rear seat folding; not everyone has one; puddle lights are a nice touch; iPod jack; 18" wheels are great; comfy/supportive seats.

Really needs a telescoping steering wheel; center arm rest needs to slide forward so the driver can rest an elbow on there while holding the wheel; the steering wheel mounted radio control doesn't let you scroll through your presets, it just 'seeks' to the next station which is VERY annoying.

Safe and Secure
By Bigtime

2008 Subaru Tribeca 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I leased this vehicle for my sons who went off to school. This is a solid vehicle with excellent safety ratings. It is a substantial vehicle that handles whatever the weather brings. In 3 years mileage will be up substantially for all manufacturers when it it time for a new vehicle. What sold me was the overall passenger room, the styling and safety features. I have not regretted the lease for even a moment. I wish that I were driving it instead of my kids.

Comfortable front seats. Secure handling. Large side mirrors for visibility. Excellent cargo room. One of the safest vehicles on the road.

More second row leg seat room and of course bluetooth capability.

Need shield for a/c condenser
By Judy Adair

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7-Pass 4dr SUV AWD w/Rear Seat DVD, Nav (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Tribeca in Aug. of this yr. and really love it, with a few exceptions. We took a 3600 mile trip up the east coast (being demo it already had 5600 miles on it). Well, on the way home from our trip a rock flew into the a/c condenser and all the freon drained out. I can't believe that there is no protection from flying objects. The cost to repair it was $1080.00! We were shocked about this and had file on our insurance.

wonderful dash lights, gps, holds to the road well in curves, drives smoother loaded down, seat warmers, back tray, puddle lights

Please make a grille of some sort to protect the condenser. Needs better fuel economy. Make back seats easier to pull back. Lights to stay on after leaving vehicle and getting in vehicle from parking.

2008 Subaru Tribeca Review
By Nor Cal

2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the Tribeca since April 2008 and put almost 6000 miles on it so far. The handling of the AWD Tribeca is darn near neutral and the turn in spot on. its fun to drive and comfortable on road trips or in town. The interior and exterior looks compliment each other. I use the transmission in sport mode all the time, either leaving it in drive or shifting up and down. the engine is a lot more responsive & mileage doesn't seem to suffer. One thing that bugs me is that the transmission shifting seems out of sync with the engine at times. The Tribeca doubles well as a tent and carries a lot of "stuff". I don't like the puddle lights though but that's a nil point IMO. Next thing is XM radio.

Handling, ride. Shape & profile. 18" wheels and low aspect tires. Interior appointment, features & lighting, MP3 player dock, grocery bag holders, 110v outlets, mirrors that adjust to light.

Larger gas tank, crisper shifting/engine response. blind spot created by thick front window/windshield pillars. A/C vent system controls confusing. could use more storage for things like CDs and such.