Used 2013 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

The good, bad and ugly
By farmboy97

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Subaru has great idea with AWD feature and high ground clearance. Gas mileage is good and sound system is great. Nice interior and appointments.
The car has heavy steering and some wandering adds to fatigue after traveling long distances. The car uses excessive amounts of oil between oil changes. Dealership dismissed my complaint. Told me, "they all use a little oil". Found out recently, there is a law suit pending regarding the issue. May not purchase another Subaru due to this issue.

Transmission shot at 83K miles
By transtrash

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Wish I could love my Subaru like the commercials all tout but they didn't have the lemon I have. I drive a lot and was happy with all aspects of the Outback until my transmission failed at 83,000 miles. Since the power train warranty covers only 60,000 miles (they must know something) the dealership said it would cost me $8500 to fix. Subaru of America said they would give me $1,000 towards the repair as a good will gesture (it took them a week to come up with that). No thanks! Now I have to buy a used one online and hope that's not a lemon either. Needless to say "I don't love my Subaru"!

Gas mileage.

Better warranty. At least 100,000 miles.

oil consumption
By zoltan1469

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

we purchased our first new car, very exciting.. First year burned through oil, a lot of oil!
dealer said this was normal, we weren't checking properly, might have a problem.
did oil consumption test, obviously a problem 1 quart every 700 miles.
Subaru talerance is 1/3 quart every 1000?
Subaru replaced the rings, and still there's a problem. we've now reached 26K miles. No new fixes. we were advised to carry a quart of oil with us. "I don't think so!" If the 2014 is the same as the 2013 you are making a mistake purchasing this car. If they tell you it's normal.. Its Not..
Let Subaru admit and fix this "alleged" issue first, then this will be a great car.

Go aware anytime. Great option. Tons of space, not only for "stuff" but tall passengers as well, front or back.

Acknowledge there's a problem with the oil consumption. Better quality interior materials.

2013 OB 2.5i CVT 9 month update
By outie_quattro

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Performance? is Meh, but it can handle fast bumpy on/off ramps with sublime decorum. Roll on speed 40 to 70 is fairly respectable for a family Wagon, and upshifting/downshifting is far smoother in the CVT...Hooning lightly around town in the snow will reveal one startling realizaiton...downshifting with all 4 wheels engaged + traction control on snowy roads is surreal! If your in this car on snowy roads, watch your back at icy stop signs and intersections; getting rear ended by those who cant possibly stop as fast is a real issue. Still too new to judge reliability..Add snowtires and go nealry everywhere in the snow. bottom line: I feel safe with my family in this car in all conditions.

Heated seats/windows/rear mirrors ground clearence thick plastic cladding, full brushed metal would be better. stiffened yet suple suspension appearence not disagreeable as reviewers often state streamlined for respectable mileage relatively comfortable cabin modern dash Doors feels solid Quiet interrior on the freeway with the right tires (not stock) I like the 2013 grill compared to the 2014-2015 because it looks distinctly subaru and obviously not trying to be some other SUV with a trapezoidal grill. Downshift anytime in D with paddles = AWESOME!!! defalut back to D mode seems slow 4+ seconds :( Foreward View and rear view w/ almost no blind spots. Crash rating is great!

1: black on black option. 2: offer X mode as an option on all base models. 3: Black leather as an upgrade option for all dark exterior models including base models. 4: The lever to release the auto stick feels cheap (Bad haptics for a nearly 30K vehicle that sounds and feels otherwise solid... 5: High speed fan is loud 6: push button Rear Hatch as separate upgrade option for all models of OB. 7: Full size spare option. 8: Full stainless metal cladding 9: add a more robust CVT with shorter shift points and a TURBO please. 10: a WRX Outback and STi with X mode?:@ :) 11: Race a Paris/Dakkar version of the OB to give us family guys of the world a dream to hold on to.

Great - but just misses it
By tlhcpa

2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I've hqd my 2013 Outback 2.t Limited for over a year. I wanted a 6 cylinder. The choise was between an Acura RDX and Outback. While I like the Outback, for the amount of money I think the RDX would have been a better deal. The price was about the same except the Outback
does not have drivers seat memory, a LOUSY almost unusable navigation system, no auto assist parking, no power tailgate. In addtion the OUtback is noisy as all get out. The heat/AC fan is so loud you can't hear the radio. Road noise is loud as well. Gas mileage is 5-7 MPG below what is advertised. Not exactly the best choice in the $35K-$40K price range.

The handling and accelaration make it fun to drive. It is designed for AWD not as an AWD add-on. I like the Eyesight, the 10 position power seat

Add a drivers seat memory with powr seats. Make the navigation system more useer friendly. Do something about the interior and road noise. It' cannot be that hard to find a quieter fan.