Used 2011 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Very Pleased
By rjnolfe

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Moving from a Chevy HHR to the larger, heavier, AWD Subaru I thought we would get a little worse gas mileage, but NO, it gets better mileage.
We typically see 30mpg in or rural area of Upstate NY.
Very comfortable and a pleasure to drive.
We feel very confident that we can travel just about anywhere in any weather without fear of getting stuck.

CVT transmission with the paddle shifters. Love to use them. Power up and down on drivers window with just a touch. Lights are excellent...both interior and exterior. Seats are very comfortable and adjust every which way you can imagine. Tilt AND telescope wheel. Looks to be very serviceable. Underhood room to access components looks excellent. Very quiet interior. Almost no wind noise at highway speeds. Love the flashing light on the remote start button that tells you the vehicle is actually running.

Speed variable wipers. Remote start that doesn't shut off when you open the door. Full rear wheelwell protection. The fender lip is exposed to the elements and looks to be an easy place for rust to start. Auto lights too sensitive, come on even if you go under a bridge. Auto off should function when key is left in ignition and engine turned off. When you pull in the garage, lights come on and you must pull the key out of the ignition or the lights will stay on. Driver 1 and driver 2 settings. Driver sideview mirror auto dimmer to eliminate glare from approaching headlights. Auto locking. Ability to customize features.

Excellent AWD vehicle for Outdoor trip!
By hongthan

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with moonroof package to replace my 2000 Honda Civic 2Dr EX coupe. We are going to use the vehicle for our winter ski trip and short range family vacation. So far I have 1200 miles on it. It average around 25miles per gallon for daily driving. This is the one if you are looking for reliable, AWD, and value. The auto climate control for the limited is a little bit weak on Auto. I have to increase the fan speed by two notches.

Auto dim rearview mirror, backup camera and gas efficiency.

Automatic setting for climate control, additional auto dim mirror for the side mirrors.

Right sized
By marionman1973

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I are the proud new owners of a 2011 Outback Limited 3.6R.
We got it three weeks ago because we were expecting.
Baby boy was born last week.

We came down to two choices:
The Ford Explorer and the Outback.

After several test drives in each my wife picked the one I was hoping for.
The Explorer was a little to big and while the My Ford touch interface is cool all I could see was something that would break in a year.
We live in a city so while you want a good size vehicle you have to be aware that it can be a problem when looking for a place to park and when you trying to get through traffic.
It has significantly more room than the other crossovers.
Very Happy so far.

Size, Size, Size. The all wheel drive is nice and the interior is very well done. Nice but not over the top. Good driving position and excellent power from the flat six.

Fuel economy is not the best in the world. Blue tooth mic could be a little better.

Happy with car
By flamanatee

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The OB matches the comfort level of my '04 Rainier.
Love the gas milage especially on longer trips.
Over all very pleased with this car.
Chose Premium version because we live in FLA and do not need the all weather package that is standard on Limited.

gas mileage

Would like auto climate control option (single level would be adequate). In owners manual it suggests that doors be locked when in motion, why not provide auto door locks?

Pretty good, but could be better.
By kaitflower

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in my 07 Impreza Outback Sport for the new Outback late last year.
I loved my sport and I miss it.
I need a larger car to drive myself, husband and 2 60 lb dogs between Ohio and California a couple times a year.
I have 22,000 miles on her already with no major mechanical problems.

As many people say:STEERING WHEEL.
The shake.
It's horrible.
The process is horrible.
Took the car in one day and the insisted that they evaluate the tires.
Bad tire was the verdict.
Replace it and have to drive 4000 miles right away.
Nope, still there.
Take it back in and they decide to do the replacement steering wheel, etc.
Still not fixed.

Heated seats, AWD, good for road trips. Great MPG! Durable body. Back-up Camera. Good pick-up on highway even in mountains. Easy to get in and out.

C'mon. Fix the steering vibration. Softer seats different location of cup holders. they're awkward to get to while driving. I pod jack in front as well as inside. Shifting is slow. Shift from Park to Drive... wait... ok go. Eliminate "helicopter" sounds with dog windows down.