Used 2011 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 150 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Believe it or not the Ford Edge is better
By 1happycamper

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned two Subaru's...a 2011 OUtback wagon (4 cylinder w/CVT) and a 2009 Forester.
Both cars were made with cheap plastic, had alot of rattles, transmission issues, and the darned muffler guard had to be tightened every 3 months or so.
All of these items were apparently part of the regular joy of owning a Subaru and were not seen as requiring a recall fix.
After owning the Outback for 18 months, I just had enough of having to take it back to the dealer to get things tightened up.
I traded that car in for a 2013 Edge and have been EXTREMELY happy with it.
The only issue with the Edge it to make sure to get the Scotchguard on it if you get cloth interior.
Ford Edge rules!

I do like how the exterior of the car looks.

Fix the darned muffler guard issues; address the transmission issue with the CVT; pony up some extra money on the interior since it starts rattling pretty quick; realize that if a specific issue comes up on one of your car models and it happens to everyone...perhaps there is an issue with that particular part and allow a free fix for that model year.

NEED REPLACEMENT PARTS WAY TOO SOON
By bunsen00

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We've been driving Subarus for many years, and loved them.
This is the 2nd 1 we bought new. I love my car, but upon last inspection I had to replace back brakes, rotors, and need new tires.
This would be fine if it had 100,000 miles on it.
But it is NOT alright when it has just over 31,000 miles on it.
The serviceman wanted to know how long the vehicle sat because the rotors were so rusty.
The car never sat!
We've had to replace rotors before, but never on anything that had less than 100,000 miles on it!
I know I will think twice before going with Subaru after this, and I hope you all will too!
I've always recommended them to other people, but no more!

My suggestion would definitely be to make parts that hold up better & last a bit longer. Go back to making a fine product that I can count on. Back your product!

First Time Subaru OB Owner - Happy Driver
By bmwshin

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've driven my 2011 Subaru Outback about 1000 miles so far.
Bought it used with 37K miles.
I was at first hesitant to jump in for this crossover, but decided to give it a shot.
I'd say that CVT transmission and some Subaru quirks are something that I needed to get used to, but once I was acclimated, driving any other car is not fun any more.
I love the spaciousness of the interior, and the performance of the AWD and boxer engine.
You get respectable gas mileage at around 25 miles combined.
Everything the Edmonds / CR experts talk about is spot-on, but nothing that you'd want to worry about. I love driving this thing around my town and can't wait for next road trip!

Interior Design Standard Options in Limited Package Ride Comfort CVT Performance / Fuel Efficiency Cargo Space

Seat Comfort (Leather) Could be more nimble / agile

Reliable. Good value, gas mileage & off road.
By jcricket

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have a 2011 base model Outback with 27,000 miles.
No issues except the headlights burned out at 25,000 (I keep them on all the time).
Gas mileage ranges from 23 in town (in winter) up to 34 on the highway (in summer). High ground clearance is helpful for off-roading and deep snow. With snow tires on it goes everywhere, all the time - no stopping it.
The interior is surpassingly spacious, particularly the back seat space.
Consider avoiding the choice of white upholstery. In Alaska the car is ubiquitous - Outbacks and Forrresters are the most popular cars on the road here.

Excellent gas mileage for an all wheel drive. Versatile: At home in the mud and snow or cleaned up for a night at the opera. Very stable on the road. Goes when and where other cars can't.

A higher seating position would be nice. Even better gas mileage too - particularly in town. A hybrid version that got good mileage in town would be awesome.

They need to upgrade the quality of their plastics and fix some of the "accepted" normal problems with Subarus
By 1happycamper

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned two Subaru’s over the past four years (2009 Forrester; 2011 Outback). I was happy to start up with the Subaru line since I thought I would be getting a quality car. I have to say that I’ve been disappointed in the quality and irksome “normal” issues.
It has the standard Subaru brake clunk and the muffler-guard rattle. It has a catalytic convertor baffle noise vibration too. It has a clicking noise behind the driver’s dashboard and creaking/rattles in the plastic trays on the sides of the doors. I’ve already started looking at what other car brand I might be able to purchase. Sorry Subaru, it’s sayonara for me.

It does have a great engine with good pickup, very decent gas mileage (30 mpg is a norm). Lots of room for dogs, gear and it has an integrated roof rack.

You need to fix the muffler guard issue...it's been around long enough. Use higher grade plastic in your "hidden" areas since those are the things that start creaking at 2 years of age or 40k miles of driving...and they are a BEAR to get to when you need to try to figure out the cause of the noise.