Used 2011 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 152 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Everything perfect except for the transmission
By wil12345

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Great car except for an occasional hard down shift from the five speed automatic.
Dealer and Subaru say they know about the issue, but claim it is operating as designed.
Mileage is about 28 on highway and 20 in town.
3.6 6 cyl has OK pickup, but not as good at the turbo outback we traded in.
If they would fix the transmission issue, the par would be perfect.

Space, smooth ride, seats and the way it drives.

Fix the shifting problem. After slowing down to about 15 mph, it feels like someone has hit you from the rear when you gently press on the gas. If Subaru can fix this problem (they say all outback 3.6 cars do this) I would never buy anything else. If this can't be corrected, I will most likely purchase something else as I am getting tired of passengers asking me "what is wrong with this car?". This is our 5th Subaru, but may be the last if the problem is uncorrectable.

My First Suabru but can't say last
By suntg

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Though I found following features are missing, still love it.
1. Speedometer is so small and not easy to read as compare to other cars. I have no clue why there is a fuel economy meter; when there is an option to see fuel average next to digital clock.
2. AC options are limited and not completely described in the manual. Manual doesn’t say how to change the Auto mode to manual mode. I accidently discovered that.
3.There is no Service Reminder available and you need to remember the service dates/miles etc.
4.Seats are comfortable but not long enough to give you thigh support.
5.No auto lock feature.
6.GPS is a jock not enough features.

1. Good quality Leather seats. 2. Smooth ride, I got a chance to drive a loaner with 6000 miles on its and the ride was very smooth, hope mine would be same after those many miles. 3. Great Harmon Kardon system. 4. Media hub 5. lots of leg room. 6. Off Road capabilities 7. fuel ecnomy

1. I hope they will make better Instrument panel. 2. Auto Lock feature 3. Better GPS 4. HD radio. 5. Memory Seats

2011 Outback - from a high mileage driver
By sallad75

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned an '07 and '09 Outback prior to this 2011.
I put on ~25k miles a year in all weather types (ND).
The 2011 Outback rides great, has more room and does get better mileage than the previous 2 models.
With just over 9k on the new car I am gettting 28-30 MPG on the interstate (77 MPH) and 33 MPG on the 2 lane roads (67 MPH) and in town 24-26 MPG.
The car has great room, handles well and is a pleasure to drive.
I have the premium model which adds some nice touches without going over the top.
The clearence is great, especially in the snow we get up here.
I also test drove a CX-9 when looking but found this a much better fit for our family.

-Improved interior room, better ride and quiter while driving than '09.

little things like larger knobs on the radio, the trunk lid shuts a bit harder than necessary and tires feel a bit soft compared to the other Subarus I have driven.

Subaru Outback AWD Best Vehicle Ever
By mike07734

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my Vehicle in June 2010.
It's the 2011 Limited AWD 2.5 4Cylinder engine.
Subaru Dealer has been the most attentive, most friendly, best ever Dealership I have ever delt with in my entire life of owning cars.
Acceleration / power is great, car rides very smooth, very solid car, very quiet, comfortable, it's tons of fun to drive especially in snow puts many other cars and 4x4's to shame plus I can average 31mpg due to the way the engine is so perfectly mated to that CVT.
This is an exceptional vehicle inside and out, built quality remarkable, value is outstanding. Service from dealer on scale of 1-10 is an ELEVEN !!
Outback is an extremely good vehicle.

I love everything about the car, the exterior design is flawless, and the interior design was executed with great attention to detail. Thing I like most is it's snow handling capability - the AWD. It's truly an AWD vehicle, only Subaru knows how to built them where as everyone else pretends to have this capability. The other thing I love is the CVT transmission and the great gas mileage I get. The power is unbelievable. I've driven both forester with 2.5 4cyl with regular automatic. CVT has more power and better gas mileage hands down much better performance and value.

Yes, how about ventilation control for rear seat passengers like in the Venza???

We love our outback and so do our dogs!
By blackbird69

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We picked up our Outback on 12/1/10, the day we had the first "real" snow of the '10-'11 winter.
The Outback was put to the test right away and was great all winter.
It performed really well in snow and on icy roads.
Gas mileage is great too.
We were looking for a vehicle to haul our four dogs.
The Outback has plenty of space for them.
The ride, seating, and handling are as good or better than anything else we've owned.
We're up to 10,000 miles and the more I drive this car the more I love it.

We have the winter package. I thought the heated seats were a "fluff" option. When I started using them in really cold weather, I really appreciated them. The winter mats were great to protect the floor when the weather was really sloppy. Although I read good reviews about Subaru's, I had not seriously considered buying one before because they always got worse gas mileage that other cars I was considering. Subaru has fixed that problem. The 2.5 liter engine with the CVT has gotten over 35 mpg on the highway. Around town I get around 28.

I can't name any. This may be the best car we've ever owned.