Used 2010 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 248 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

good first time Subaru experience
By SFBayDriver

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We were shopping for a Venza, Camry and ended up buying an 2010 Outback. This dealer was selling both brands and we test drove and liked the Outback. It feels heavier, stronger and more solid. We got it for 26k about 1k less than newspaper ad. This is our first Subaru, actually my first time driving a Subaru. I got to say it is pretty impressive and worth considering if you are shopping for a wagon.

Bluetooth, continental tires, powerful breaks, nice exterior body shape,

better insulation it is noisier than competitors. Intake could be re- designed to improve mileage, sound system is so-so.

It grows on you....
By Chris Amberg

2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Traded a 2002 Honda CR-V manual for the 3.6R Outback auto. I live on an acreage and drive gravel every day, plus after this winter realized I needed the ground clearance. With snow tires (must have) it will be a tank. Most CUVs have gotten lower to the ground; Subie is tops here. Love the smooth, quiet power of the flat six; wish the engine came with a manual but paddle shifters will help wean me from my manual preference. I still have a Miata stick so ok compromise.

Ground clearance combined with flat six and decent gas mileage; heated seats; Azurite Blue with light interior is handsome; upgraded Harman Kardon (the lower model stereos are poor); image and usability as an outdoor person's vehicle. Should be as reliable as my past Hondas/Acura.

Styling is subjective and it grew on me - front end a bit awkward. Manual with six cylinder; folding mirrors; operate radio presets from the steering wheel; body side molding, some interior bits could be higher quality. All are minor gripes - great car!

Very satisfied in Ohio
By lvjohn

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We've had our Outback almost 2 weeks now and we are delighted with it. It is so much better than I remembered our test drive car ever being. I have owned 7 new cars in my 45 years of driving and this is clearly the best of them all including our 2000 Outback. We love the versatility the Outback provides. It can haul a fair amount of stuff and it can transport 5 in comfort and quiet. It gets reasonably good gas mileage; we got 24.8 mpg in mixed city and freeway driving on the first tank. The build quality is the best I've seen in any new car.

The interior is wonderful from dash to lift gate. Subaru has made so many improvements here it's hard to believe. The seats are so comfortable and the leg room outstanding. The crash test results are comforting just in case of a terrible mistake.

1 Provide owner selection of upholstery color and exterior colors rather Subaru's limited choices 2 Folding side rear view mirrors 3 Better stereo system. The stock one is only marginally acceptable for the kind of money they charge for it. 4 Remove release for the rear hatch

Best Outbak Yet!
By Dobes Rule!

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is great! I have owned 15 cars is the last 12 years. Including 7 Subarus. This new Outback is so similar to the Tribeca in terms of ride quality, feel, etc. that now Subaru is going to have to upgrade that vehicle to maintain its flagship status. Awesome ride quality. Great fit & finish. Love the CVT transmission. Stock stereo sound quality is the best Subaru has had yet. My in-laws liked the car well enough that they went & purchased one too. Now it looks like my parents will be trading in their Outback for this updated version. Great car Subaru! Keep up the good work!

CVT Transmission. Fit & Finish. Ride Quality. Excellent sound quality from stock stereo. Good seating position and slightly wider front seats than last generation are a great improvement.

I wish Subaru would offer dark interiors with more exterior colors. Currently only 3 exterior colors result in a dark interior.

Outlook not for sea kyakers
By John Giese

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The roof rack on the 2010 Outlook is a disaster. Long the favorite vehicle for sea kayakers you can't fit 3-4 sea kayaks on anymore. It costs a grand at Yakima Racks to get replacement and install a rack that will work. Multiple problems with factory rack and Subaru rack accessories. Hard for heater to warm feet, fan very noisy and interior controls difficult to see in the dark. Otherwise quite happy with vehicle.

Decent speed for 4 cyl, pretty good visibility, definitely get heated seats if in cold climate. Mileage seems to be as listed even without using toys on new transmission. Seats are comfortable with good lower lumbar support. Greater room in back seat is an improvement.

Replace the roof rack or sell the Outlook without one so recreationalists can purchase an after- market rack that works. Return to having weather radio station on car radio and baskets behind driver seats. Return it to a car for outdoor folks instead of making it for yuppies.