Used 2009 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

A great SUV alternative
By DrPete

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was looking for a car big enough to carry our whole family (me, wife, baby, and 2 dogs), and being a physician I needed something that would get me to work under any conditions. This car fits the bill beautifully. Fit and finish are amazing for this price point, ride quality is smooth and comfortable, and reliability so far has been great. The built-in nav system is quite detailed, and my only wish would be for a live traffic option. This is easily the most sure-footed car I've ever driven in the snow, and isn't top- heavy like most SUVs. My only real gripes are the lack of power from the 2.5i and limited back seat room when using a rear-facing car seat.

AWD, traction control, beautiful fit/finish, solid build, very nice stereo. Having all rear windows tinted was a baby-friendly feature I didn't even know I wanted!

The 2.5 is just not enough power for this car, but I kinda knew that going in. Also a couple inches in the back seats (longer door and more legroom) would be nice, especially when using a large rear-facing car seat.

Clunk is what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
By vaa4

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was very happy about our new vehicle purchase (Jul'09) until we hit a bump in the road...an uneven bump. Rack and Pinion is designed to clunk every time wheels are turned and hit an uneven pavement (fact). Happens on driveways and while turning on an imperfect road. Took 3 service trips to find out at over 75% of Outbacks suffer from this issue. Done 3 trips to get front vibrations (tires?) taken care of, still in progress. Front rotors already machined (2K miles). Driver door handle cable is loose, haven't addressed yet. If I was a Die-hard Subaru fan, I may have ignored these imperfections since no other vehicle fits my lifestyle that well, but I am having a hard time coping with it yet.

50/50 AWD, Turbo H4 with SI Drive, Smooth Manual transmission (may have N sensor, which could be used for Remote Start), Awesome instrument lighting, Traction/Skid control is not overactive (can stay ON for spirited driving), Heated/Power Seats, High Leather quality.

Rack and Pinion that doesn't clunk like a 20-year old Buick when turning into driveways. Build quality is not on par with other Japanese brands (Toyota/Honda/Nissan). Add HID lights option. Dual climate control to adjust both temps by driver's dial (same as Lexus).

Best car for the money out there
By Gary

2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have had 6 Subaru's before this one and this is the best of the lot. My first 6 cylinder and it doesn't disappoint. It's a sports car, take it to the supermarket, it will do anything you want. It's well built, so far trouble free and handsome. The engine purrs like a kitten and the exhaust has a sound like a Jaguar. I guess you can tell I love this car. We are keeping it over a new 2010. Did I say it's fun to drive!

Power, handling, awd, radio, leather, dash, sunroof, etc.

For me, none!

Garbage Garbage Garbage!
By Kelly

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

OMG! What a piece of garbage...Car rattles and is unusually loud...couldn't fit my infant son's carseat behind driver without being "Jacked Up" to the dashboard! If you are a tall or heavy-set person (I am not) than forget it! Plastic garbage.

None

More room

BIG Sub
By SCHATS

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car, have 12,000 miles, gas mileage has been better than expected. Would like a bit more power. Just finished a vacation traveling from Pittsburgh to Maine, 2500 miles averaged 28 MPG carrying quite a bit of camping equipment. The car always looks clean, shines beautifully, even with dust on it.

Color-Green, Cargo Space, Stereo system.

Larger Glove Box, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Audio Controls, More Horsepower.