Used 2009 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Nice but needs improvements
By ebomb

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

So far I would say that this car is good but not great. The boxer engine lacks torque. Going up hills requires lots of down shifting. My other cars have way more power and they have similar or smaller engines. The AWD is excellent and is the main reason I bought it. The OEM tires are not that good. They lasted about 18,000 miles before needing replacement. The gas mileage is not good. I get around 23 mph and for an engine that lacks power it adds injury to insult. The build quality is very good. No problems so far and seems tight. I like the way it handles. Very responsive and the steering feels tight. I think many of my issues have been addressed by the 2010 model.

AWD, handling, reliability.

Better gas mileage and more powerful engine (yes there are better engines out there and get better mileage).

A car for the mountains
By Majszak

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is so tight on the mountain roads that it's almost a sin not go looking for bad weather to drive in. I was actually snow plowed in up to the windows and this car drove out like it was going over a speed bump. Highly recommend this vehicle.

AWD drive is unmatched. Love the heated seats, mirrors and windshield wipers.

The roof rack could be better designed. It take a little work to get a ski box up there without the tailgate hitting it.

Love my "Roo"
By James

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had this car for a year now, it is my 3rd Subie and second Outback. Put 200,000 miles on my 1998 and loved it, almost broke down when I sold it. We bought this one in California; and after two road trips to SF and Tahoe, shipped it to Germany and have driven to Prague, Berlin, and Amsterdam. She slides along nicely on the Autobahn at 100 mph with ease, the 2.5i at under 4K rpm! Very comfortable with me and mom in the front and the two kids in the back.

Heated leather seats are very nice in the winter. Stereo is great, and really appreciate the iPod jack. Love the HUGE sunroof, and visibility is very good for a wagon. I like the exterior/interior styling much better than the 2010 version as well.

It's minor, but the rear cup holder has been used as a foot rest by my kids and has quickly broken. The rear "PZEV" tag is silly and should be replaced by "Limited" as in previous years. Very minor suggestions.

Couldn't ask for more
By Greatcar

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The XT Turbo is plain fun to drive. The front seat is roomy, the cockpit layout and lighting are fantastic, the turbocharged engine does anything you could ask for, and the all wheel drive provides sure footing in any weather. This is my third Subie (after a Mazda, Honda, and 2 Toyotas), and I wouldn't trade it for any other make or model. Rear cabin storage is great. My only wish is would be for better city gas mileage, but it's a fun, fantastic car to drive.

cockpit layout, heated seats, good quality leather, turbo is FUN to drive

Bluetooth! More cockpit storage space (bigger glove box & console storage). Slightly bigger back seat. Better city gas mileage. Did I say Bluetooth?!

No regrets whatsoever
By Matt

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 5 speed MT Special Edition. I have gone from VW products to Audi and I have no regrets at all. The build is great, the AWD is extremely capable and I have never gotten it stuck (and I have tried as I take it down trails through mud and snow and over rocks to go biking), the comfort and visibility is fantastic, the power is not earth moving but good enough, the mileage is very good considering its a big 4 cylinder and just 5 speeds. The only real downside is that the leg room in the rear seat is very very tight.

The fact that I can still get a manual transmission. Better than any SUV in its price bracket capability and quality

Rear seat leg room