Used 2009 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Overall performance
By Perry, S. California

2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I enjoyed the car and fun to drive. Waited for while before I write this review. I love stereo system and nav. Dislike: firm seat,not enough storage, engine power ok,not as quiet inside the car, the steering wheel is firm for me - so far I do not have any major issue but rattle in front driver side at higher speed. Brought attention to dealer, cannot resolve the issue.

Stereo system, Nav

More storage

Not drinkin' the cool-aid
By lm

2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Initially we loved it. Two radio replacements later along with faulty a/c controls, expensive x-mission repair, leaking sun roof (all covered by warranty) have left us questioning keeping this vehicle for 10+ years like we planned. So far $5k worth repairs on a 1.5 yr. Old vehicle does not bode well for Post warranty ownership. Will trade for a Ford fusion. We expected much more from a $30k vehicle. Will have a bad taste in my mouth for Subaru for a while. Gillman San Antonio could have done better also.

Nice solid feel, high ground clearance, feels "stout". Extremely good ad campaign. On the stuff that matters like "the car" not so many favorite features.

fix radio problems, fix mechanical problems, train technicians at Gillman San Antonio better, improve their customer service skills

2009 Outback Constantly Rattles
By SB

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2009 Outback last year and was so happy to have another Subaru. Several months after purchase I noticed a loud rattle in the front, took it to the dealership who told me there were issues with the 2008/2009 Heat Shields - and they replaced mine. The rattle problem seemed to be resolved, however 2 months later - it is rattling again. This time the dealership showed me Memo's of consumer complaints of the rattle - and stated it would probably continue because these Heat Shields are just 'clipped' together instead of being 'bolted' together. AND - be prepared for it to be much worse in the winter time. I wish I knew this in advance - very disappointed! : (

Body style, interior design, handling in inclement weather

Fix the heat shield problem in 2009 outback so the rattle stops! I'd like to enjoy driving my car again.

Great Value and Premium Feel
By dstrange

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Outback Limited to be the only family car, trading in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Volvo V70. The interior is every bit as nice as the V70 (and then some with the oversized sunroof and great speaker system). We've enjoyed the AWD in the rain and ice and it handles like it's on rails around corners. The only disappointment is the engine's acceleration at lower speeds. Whenever we pull into traffic and engage the "sport mode" to gain acceleration, my husband says, "Go hamsters!" It's also a tight fit for our family on road trips, but the addition of a cargo box on top of the car helps to create more interior space without killing fuel economy (still getting about 22-24 hwy).

Interior design, giant sunroof, heated seats, AWD, safety, comfort of front seats, sound system

back seats aren't comfortable for adults (we're not big people, either), needs more cargo room. I think the 2010 model addressed these issues.

Not for me
By The Chad

2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Outback after my 99' 4Runner with only 92,000 miles through a rod. This was not my first choice of car, but made sense economically at the time and now I regret buying it. The ride is very rough, especially for a car chassis. The engine is very underpowered, especially when loaded for road trips and the mileage is crap. I get 22-23 commuting and on road trips with bikes on top, I get 18. The vehicle is also very small for road trips, etc. for a camping/biking road trip, you can only take one other person and gear. I will be taking a look at a new 4Runner or Tacoma since I can get the same gas mileage and have a lot more power and room.

Very impressed with how it handles and drives in the snow.

Subaru should have done their homework on the upgraded sound system. The system is too much for the vehicle and the doors vibrate from the bass.