Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Our 2208 Ru is a Little Tight
By Barry

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We had a 1998 Ru Outback that we gave to our son and bought our 2008 Ru in July of 2007. The Ru rides great, has good mileage, 25MPG around town, it also looks great. Our Ru has been very reliable. Only problems so far has been a power steering arm that was leaking when we bought the car new. That was replaced under warranty. We have had an intermittent rattle under the car, especially when cold. Took it to two different Subaru dealers and they could not duplicate the problem. Went to our Subaru dealer in Flagstaff and they finally found the problem, something about the catalytic converter which will be replaced under warranty.

Great ride, once you are in the seats are very comfortable.

My wife loved the 1998 Ru so much she did not test drive the 2008. It is much smaller inside than our old RU. Little leg room in the back. I cannot get my knees under the steering wheel when the tilt is fully raised and the seat lowered. There is more room now with later models.

My first & last Subaru
By davidmovahedi

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned at least 7 brand new cars in the past 15 years; Will not buy a Subaru again. My car is less than 2 years old & only has 8000 miles on it, the rattling noise while driving is very disturbing and annoying. I read the same feedback from another owner too. And when you fist turn on the engine, for the first 3 minutes, it sounds like a diesel truck! Is this because the engine is tilted 90 degrees and there's no oil around the pistons going side to side? Very disappointed, not to mention that there is hardly any room in the back! I will definitely stay away from Subarus. This was a worse experience than my last new car (Nissan Sentra 2.0).

Great Wagon
By eonrac

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have owned this 2.5i for 2 years without any problems. Bought new and has only been to dealer for maintenance checks (oil change, tire rotation). Fun to drive. Back seat passengers are a little cramped, though front seats are very comfortable. Mileage is better than EPA. Gets at at least 20mpg in town and 29 on the highway. Cargo area is wide and long. Have hauled a Hoosier cabinet and a large entertainment center. Would be nice if hidden side storage compartment doors would stay on (only thing on OB that is flimsy). Love my Outback. Best decision ever made! My OB 2.5i is a PZEV and it is not loud. In fact, my neighbors call it the stealth car because it is so quiet.

Power seats Up/down & back/forth. Adjustable steering wheel. Input jack for B'berry, iPod. Heated seat. Tight handling. Cargo size.

Foot rest for driver's left foot (Prius has this). Auxiliary jack closer to stereo. Cargo nets don't hold & improve hidden storage doors.

The best all round vehicle ever
By Dreister

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Outback Turbo XT with manual transmission for just over a year, and I must say that I've found the perfect match! I love how I can change the driving style by a click of the button, if I want to accelerate off a red light like Andretti, I can by flipping the S# button, and boy do you feel that power! If I want to take it easy on a longer drive or in traffic and conserve gas, flip it to I and I can rest at ease knowing my car is doing its best to conserve energy. The fact that the clearance on my Outback beats most large SUV's is phenomenal for a car this size. I've gone off- roading in Big Bend and I've been able to go down trails Explorers couldn't dream of tackling.

Very large sun/moon roof (almost makes you feel like it's a convertible!), Plush interior while maintaining its utilitarian characteristics of an off-road vehicle. My dog loves the cargo area!

Increase the leg room for the back seat passengers.

Reliable AWD
By NJ

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Ltd L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall, very nice car. Leather seats are luxurious and comfortable. Decent MPG for AWD system. Accurate Navigation system. Nice cargo room. Back seats are a little too cramped. I've owned 4.9L V8, 4.5L V8, 3.5L V6. Maybe this is why this Outback seems so so so so so slowwwwwwwwwwww. I make sure engine revs at around 6000 rpm and this car doesn't pick up speed quite well. I should've got XT or H6 version. If you don't care about acceleration, then this car may be the perfect car.

Non stopping rabbit-like AWD system, versatility, and history of good reliability.

One of the lowest quality Navigation screens I've ever seen. Such a low resolution screen. POI is useless.