Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

We Questioned next purchase and Now have another.
By experiences1

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This 2008 subie is my 3rd subaru experience. I was reluctant to leave a review because I have been told I am too critical so you be the judge.

1998 subaru was very noisy engine wise other than that a head gasket failure at 135000 miles

2001 subaru brakes once every other year at the dealer. Coolent leaks at the heads of the engine maintained by conditioner.

2008 Head gasket leaks at 68000 miles needed replacing. wire harness broke to tail lights. Noisy catalytic converters replaced but they left off the shielding. replaced under recall which is good. 75000 miles has a skip. plugs and wires.

7/30/16 96000-113000 owner replaced timing belt and tension pulleys, coolant water pump and timing belt, oil pump seals , cam shaft seals as normal maintenance items. valve cover gaskets Wheel bearings x3 as they were noisy. dealer replaced one air bag and another takata air bag is due under warranty control arm bushings and front and rear sway bar links. intermediate pipe and resonator with seals (noisy) Still drives and handles great. has not left us stranded yet. that is good. brakes hold up well.

1/31/17 120000 update. wire harness at rear gate wire broke again (first time was at 70000 and just ordered a new harness (rear gate Cord) from subaru lost back up lights and antenna wires the remaining wires insulation is cracking and just opted for new. Drives and runs great 23 mpg normal city milage. Just purchased new 2017 Outback Limited My wife drove most everything in this price range and insisted on a Subaru.

2008 Outback i limited
By experiences1

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

2008 outback we bought new when our 1998 outback head gaskets failed at 135000 miles. We were unsure if another Subaru was in our future but after driving other alternatives we returned to this manufacturer.
Very stable sure footed in even the worst conditions and very easy to drive. We are impressed with the design and body integrity.
update 3/28/16 107000 miles same engine and transmission. suspension bushings are a common failure but major components great. Some interior panels develop waves and pockets that look like the thin foam under the imitation leather. Recall on air bags just completed. Letter from manufacturer stated dashboard may develop symptoms similar to mentioned in detail before about interior panels.

Subaru won't stand behind its product
By shemonkey

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My air conditioner compressor failed in my 2008 Outback after 45,000 miles.
The compressor was no longer covered by warranty.
It cost me over $900 to replace the compressor, including parts and labor. My mechanic suggested I write a letter to Subaru of America to ask for reimbursement.
I wrote a detailed letter to Subaru of America.
Subaru of America wrote back with perhaps the lamest correspondence I have ever received, stating that "Subaru is not responsible for defective parts or workmanship from subcontractors." Needless to say, I will never purchase another Subaru product.
My Outback is average or below average in every way, from handling to craftsmanship to fuel economy.

GREAT FAMILY CAR!
By doc5339

2008 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall this is an awesome car. The Outback merges safety with functionality, and driving fun.

The opposed 4-cylinder (H4) has great pick-up.

Symmetrical All Wheel Drive is worth its weight in gold! We have successfully avoided two accidents as a direct result of this AWD's superior handling capability. Safety ratings are about as good as it gets.

Fuel economy could and should be much better. We average 22-23 MPG mixed driving being very mindful of driving style. I think we have seen 28 MPG on the highway once, while the EPA Sticker is estimated at 29 MPG highway. We have Nitrogen Filled Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires, Synthetic Oil and Fluids all around, Pulstar Iridium Spark Plugs, and clean the fuel system regularly. All of that said and average mileage is usually 22 MPG.

2008 Subaru
By miamioolite

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Third Subaru.
First was an 86' GL station wagon= 279,000 miles till it rusted away aroung the engine.
Second was a 96' outback=120,000 sold to a friend who took it to Baja to be a surf wagon.
Bought this one used with 20k I'm now at 30k.
So far, nice car, no mechanical issues, drives great, still smaller than the new ones (I wanted that) drives through almost anything (snow, sand, mud) very comfortable on the highway on long drives. Finish is solid all the plastic lines up (AHEM chrysler...) and the fuel econonmy is good 23/28. Biggest complaint, the automatic is slow, and chunky, it seems to rob the engine of power.
Look for a manual.
Subarus are the offical car of the Mountain West!

Seats, Panoramic sunroof, Steering Its just a nice looking station wagon (hard to pull off).

Subaru. Is it sooooo hard to make a 5 gear automatic? is it really that much cheaper to make a 3 or 4 gear automatic? C'mon. And please, produce a few (just a few) more manual transmission cars.....please?