Used 2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

You can do better
By Bob L

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this wagon because of all the reviews I had read. This vehicle performs exceptionally well and looks nice. Quality control is good. Now for the bad. EPA sticker 22-28 mpg. The last car I had was rated the same and I averaged 23-25 mixed driving. This vehicle is getting 20 mpg mixed but will get 28-29 on highway driving. The headrests are very obtrusive and hard to see past. I am average height (5'9") and the electric driver's seat doesn't quite give me the leg room I need. The passenger seat, although manual, is way worse. I can't even stretch out my legs. The rear legroom is terrible. Also trade-in value is the worst I have seen on any car I have owned.

Snappy acceleration. Nice looking. A whole lot of standard features you don't get on the 2007.

Trim down headrests so you can look behind you. Increase gas mileage. Better leg room.

2006 Suburu Outback
By Rodger

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Having my Subaru for over a year and through many conditions of snow sleet and ice, it has been nothing short of a great car and I would recommend it to anyone. It has quick response and is very sure footed even in the worse conditions. The only problem I had with the exterior design was the headlights that seem to collect salt and dirt very fast and reduce the light. I actually had to stop and scrape them off while driving. Interior is great. The heated cloth seats are standard and a great extra touch. Having been just quoted $750 for the 33,000 mile routine maintains from the dealership, I do recommend finding an alternative to the dealership once your warranty is up.

The AWD and the balance of the car. It is a pleasure to drive in snow.

Wipers on the headlights. and a shield over the fog lights. Better right hand arm rest for driver side. No place to put my arm. The engine running time information - should have a manual reset, not do it automatically when the car is turned off. This would keep track of length of long trips.

6 Month Review
By JM94

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I reviewed my "tank" at 1000 miles, now a follow up. 2.5i Nav. now 6700 miles. I average 23-25 mpg mixed, no problems so far. Has enough power for day to day, not a speedster. Ride is smooth, car has been very reliable. Great cargo room w/ seats down, enough for a 40 inch tv and stand. Took it out in the snow today. It handles well, great traction. It took hard acceleration and irresponsible turns to get it to fishtail, but it will. I floored it, jerked the wheel and found myself hitting a curb. The Outback was fine, but I think I broke the sidewalk. I did this in an empty parking lot, hey if you're going to drive in the snow, you have to know your vehicle. Confident, solid car, not sexy.

AWD, best car ever in the rain, great in snow, navigation system is cool but tricky. Safety features are awesome. My insurance is very low; my agent said that Outback claims are very low.

Stability control standard. Navigation system is tricky. I live outside of DC, while looking for a local carpet store, somehow the nav was trying to take me to Cleveland. Full size spare, no donuts! MP3 would be great.

3rd Outback
By TwoHawks

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had 2 previous Outbacks...a 1997 which I totaled when run off the road (I walked away unhurt) and a 1999 which I gave to my son with 300,000 miles (he is still driving it...original engine). I just bought a 2006. Great improvements over previous models. I get 28 mph highway consistently.

Style. Ground clearance (I live in the mountains).

Hood scoop on all models.

Powerful Ride, Great Handling
By Phipka

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third new Subaru and there are noticeable improvements from model to model. The only real negative I see is a hesitation to accelerate. This is a real problem when coming onto a road past a blind curve or pulling onto a parkway with fast unforgiving traffic. Otherwise the car has amazing handling and is the best foul weather car I have ever driven in. It is a little closer to the ground than my 2000 Outback Limited offering excellent stability in the wind. I particularly liked the sport shift when I went over the 16% grade of the Sonora Pass in California this year - I really feel safe in this car under almost any condition. 19/25 mpg traffic/highway.

Safety, handling, ergonomics - no slide rear cargo liner - beautiful exterior.

Solve the acceleration lag - in any mode of driving - with this much power it should be immediately accessible.