Used 2006 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Liked my old one better
By Nancy

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 Outback is the second one that I have purchased. I bought it sight unseen based upon my satisfaction with my 2000 Outback. My 2000 & I were in a near fatal road rage accident where I was forced off the road & hit a telephone pole head on at 50 MPH. I survived with very minor injuries but alas, the car did not. I really loved my 2000 Outback. I can't say the same about my 2006. As soon as I sat in it,I knew it was not the same vehicle. The seats were less comfortable, acceleration was not as good, the side view mirrors have huge blindspots due to the redesign. The windows whistle, The body is less sturdy, the glove box too small,cheap cup holders, donut tire, basically made cheaper.

Go back to making a quality vehicle with acceleration, body integrity, & better comfort

Excellent car
By D.B. Cameron

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Subaru. The first (1985) lasted 10 years (in Ohio salt country); the second, 11 years (Ohio - > California); the third is just 1.5 years old and doing very well. Almost no post purchase fix ups. Very reliable. Decent fuel mileage (26-27), Really fine road handling (I used to have sports cars), great "mudder" (I live in the mountains and ski a fair amount). Good night road view. Only irritating problem is that, compared with my old Legacy, it is larger on the outside and smaller on the inside; strange engineering. So far, at least, it looks like another 10 or 12 year investment.

Road handling and fairly tight turning radius. Good outside view and mirror placement for this 5 foot 6 inch person.

More space inside and more small nooks to store things.

Solid Subaru
By ricardo

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The car is solid as a vault and has been absolutely reliable. Plenty of power from the turbo 4, but the transmission is a little squishy on shifts. Great traction from the AWD, but the suspension is a little too soft for cornering. comfortable and quite ride. Car provides a feeling of confidence, and AWD is very effective since the 5 speed AT powers all wheels all the time (unlike the 4AT which is FWD biased). Mileage fairly poor ~20 overall, and never higher than 24 on highway. CD/radio a disappointment - rather mediocre custom built radio that can't be changed out or adapted for iPod.

AWD and the turbo make the car useful and fun to drive. Auto dimming mirror, heated seats, power seats both sides, big sunroof, are great.

Use standard CD/radio or provide iPod/XM capability.

Good Car For The Money
By Ben

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This has been a good car, but I have one issue with regard to the all wheel drive. When turning into an intersection from a stop on fresh snow, the rear wheels will kick in with too much power resulting in the rear end sliding sideways. The dealer says I am applying too much gas, but Consumer Reports experts agree w/ me on this issue. Also, the passing gear hesitates 2 or 3 seconds before activating. The inside use of cloth in some of the places that get dirtiest...visors, inside door walls behind the arm rests, etc. should be something washable. Also the light interior colors are impossible clean, especially the carpets and cloth seats. Opt for a darker colors unless pet hair is an issue.

This car is just a pleasure to own and drive. Plan on about 27 MPG for combined driving. For the most part, it is a well constructed car with comfortable seats and well designed gauges and controls. I am really very happy with this car.

Should have a compass as standard equipment. Rear wheels need to kick in with a little less force on slippery roads. Passing gear should activate almost immediately (there is a 2 or 3 second pause). Certain areas that get dirtiest should be made of something more washable than fabric.

You can do better
By Bob L

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this wagon because of all the reviews I had read. This vehicle performs exceptionally well and looks nice. Quality control is good. Now for the bad. EPA sticker 22-28 mpg. The last car I had was rated the same and I averaged 23-25 mixed driving. This vehicle is getting 20 mpg mixed but will get 28-29 on highway driving. The headrests are very obtrusive and hard to see past. I am average height (5'9") and the electric driver's seat doesn't quite give me the leg room I need. The passenger seat, although manual, is way worse. I can't even stretch out my legs. The rear legroom is terrible. Also trade-in value is the worst I have seen on any car I have owned.

Snappy acceleration. Nice looking. A whole lot of standard features you don't get on the 2007.

Trim down headrests so you can look behind you. Increase gas mileage. Better leg room.