Used 2006 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Love my car
By becs

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Subaru. I love it. It handles like a dream. I have a 140 miles round trip commute everyday so I went for the automatic this time. Makes a big difference when stuck in traffic. I get fantastic mileage. 30 on the highway and around 26 about town. It's my favorite car I've owned so far - even got my favorite color this time - green. The interior is comfortable (leather) and easy to clean. And I've got a 10yr old boy so I've cleaned that back sit a number of times - grin. The safety features are great. I do have to agree with another reviewer that the headrests are a bit in the way of the rear view sometimes, but I've learned to adjust how I look back now. I love this car!

Driving it. Side curtain air bags. Passenger front side weight turn off for air bag. Handling. Gas mileage. Design/looks inside and out.

Headrests are a bit tall and do block the rear view a bit. Automatic a bit sluggish on highway merging. Quicker acceleration would be very nice.

My Subaru
By Ron Scopa

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Subaru. Both were purchased new. I am reasonably pleased with the vehicle. I think, however, that a 4-cylinder engine such as the 2.5l in my car should be a bit better in fuel economy 24.5 mpg average. On the highway, the figure is approx. 27.5 mpg, at 60 mph. In city driving the economy is approx. 17 mpg. The car is fairly well built. The interior comfort is acceptable. The car is quiet, holds the road nicely at high speeds and runs smooth. The acceleration is not bad for a four-cylinder. Overall, one of the best cars I ever owned.

Exterior styling, cockpit design, quality of factory materials. Climate controls.

Improve mileage. Develop a hybrid version.

Fun to Drive!
By dg

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Easily the most fun and capable car that I have ever owned. The fuel efficiency is amazing and the size works great for surfing, snowboarding, etc. I definitely recommend this car!

Tons of cool gadgets and extras in the most basic model. The all wheel drive is a huge asset.

Very minor issues with interior, but I bought mine used.

We don't need no stinkin' turbo!
By Lynne

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first Subaru was a 2000 Limited Wagon. Had no trouble at all with it, except the automatic transmission never seemed to downshift when I thought it should. Now have the 2006 Outback wagon, and love the redesign both inside and out. Have 5 speed manual transmission in this car and love it. If you know how to drive a manual transmission, get it in this car as you can do way better than the 0 - 60 on the automatic transmission. This car is lots of fun to drive, and hugs the road even though it sits rather high up. I feel very safe in it in all weather. I get approx 27 mpg combined in this car with normal driving, but it can really move with the 5 speed manual if you need it to.

5 speed manual, hugs the road, great combination of fun to drive and practicality, can't beat it for the money.

Bring back the weather band radio, get rid of the annoying seat belt chime, rear gate board rattles in everyday driving, a six speed manual would be nice. Otherwise love the car!

Practical
By Ann

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I really like this car. I bought it because the price compared to other similar AWD vehicles was the lowest by far. I needed something that gets around well on snow and that my dog can be comfortable riding in. I have the green color but the interior only came in ivory cloth and when I get in my car after working out I leave sweat marks! The car doesn't get around in the snow as well as my 1999 CR-V but it still gets around. I find the delay in accelerating to pass annoying but not a fatal flaw. The get-up-and-go is the best of any 4 cylinder I've owned - even my husband commented. The seats are comfortable but really low to the ground. I needed a practical car and this is it.

Looks, AWD, fold down back seats which makes a large cargo area, side impact air curtains, ABS and heated seats. I'm getting about 25-26 MPG combined driving.

Darker fabric seat options, stability control, full size spare and figure out a way to raise the seats. My left knee is practically up by my chin when driving. Passenger side is even worse.