Used 2006 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Good to drive and reliable
By tljake

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Subaru (first being a 1986 Brat). Have put over 50,000 on it in three years, have had absolutely no problems. This car has been through winter snow, off road in the high desert, city traffic, and has never failed to perform. It's not the flashiest car out there, nor the fastest, nor the one pulling the biggest load, but it will get you from point A to point B with minimum worry.

Handling on rough terrain is better than what you would expect from a car (does REALLY well on dried lake beds!). Having a slapstick comes in handy when passing, is just plain fun on winding roads.

CD player froze up and quit working.

Check Engine Light For the LOSS
By Amy

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Ltd 4dr Wagon AWD w/Black Int (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased mine as a CPO. Within 2 months the drivers side window stopped going up and down, the sunroof refused to open, and the check engine light has come on 3 times. It has been the dealer 4 times in 2 months! I am BEYOND unhappy with the purchase! Subaru clearly also doesn't know how to fix the check engine light as the code is for an engine misfire cylinder 2 - we first were told to do the spark plugs, done, then when it went back they did the coil for just that cylinder, and now who knows what they will come up with. I can't rely on the car not to throw a code. Waste of money.

Hire real mechanics that know how to fix the cars and know what type of spark plugs go in which car.

cv caps
By sonic

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have never had a car with so many problems and it's not even paid off! My Mazda's and Camry's were great! I've had both cv caps leak (not at the same time, so it will cost more for repair), the cruise control turned off and the engine light went out in the middle of the desert. Problem was not cruise control! I sure do miss my Camry.

Easy access (for this type of vehicle) for Grandma. Easy back access for muddy dog. Tow package capability for bicycles. Feel comfortable off road in the desert.

Make an engine that will hold up until I finish my car payments!

Worst car I've ever owned!!
By Jen

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car I've ever owned. NO steering control on snowy roads. Brakes smokes and won't respond in wet, snowy weather. Car stops for no reason in the middle of the road with no warning. Have to replace oil every time I stop for gas because it burns out completely. Had the engine almost seize because of this! DO NOT Buy!!!!!

NONE

Everything!

A home run...
By rwoavon

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car to replace a 2000 Volvo x-Country wagon which fell apart at 59,000 miles. I bought the Subaru Outback because 1)it provided wagon- like features; 2) it was cheaper than a Volvo; 3) the 2.5 ltr. turbo flies. We are now at 45,000 miles and have been DELIGHTED with 1)it's reliability- never a problem; 2) the engine- wow, does this car move; 3) it's capabilities- all wheel drive makes this car indestructible on snow, ice and rain. Negatives- we wish the car was a wee bit larger. Also, lack of a telescoping steering wheel is annoying. We love this car but looked at the new and larger 2010 redesign. However, without a 2.5 liter turbo option, we prefer our car. Zoom Zoom!

Reliability is 100% The 2.5 liter turbo is like a sports car It navigates through all weather conditions It looks great in black Front seats are very comfortable for long trips

Telescoping steering wheel A bit larger on the inside More legroom in the rear.