Used 2006 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Pretty Nice
By shaposky

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I like my new Outback 2.5i. The only problems I have had with it so far is a malfunctioning airbag system and mediocre (but EPA accurate) gas mileage (I'm getting between 23 and 24 mpg in mixed driving). I did average 31 mpg on a recent road trip to New York, though, which was impressive. People don't buy an Outback for its sportiness, but a little of that would have been nice. The cargo area is extremely useful.

I went to a friend's mountain cabin a month ago. I had to travel on a dirt road for about 2 miles to get there. The Outback felt very sure-footed all the way.

Improve accuracy of trip computer...it exaggerates the Outback's gas mileage by at least 2 mpg. Create more storage space for front seat passengers.

Awesome Tank
By JMD94

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Outback for a month now, 1000 miles. We have the 2.5i auto with Navigation. Vehicle feels very solid and confident on the road, feels as safe as a tank, but has a surprisingly smooth ride. You won't win any drag races with this car, but it has plenty of power for normal highway/city driving. I'm averaging 26 mpg in mixed driving, not bad for 1000 miles. I never thought that I could be happy with this type of vehicle, but I am. Has a unique feel behind the wheel, you sort of feel like you're in a SUV, without being as high up. Before you shell out big bucks for a 4Runner or Explorer, drive an Outback, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Navigation system is cool, but takes a while to figure out. The guy has a slight Australian accent. I love how it feels on the road. Smooth, easy to drive, but has the solid, safe feeling of a tank. Car has amazing traction, no snow yet but drove through a huge rainstorm, it was awesome.

Some interior materials on the console feel kind of cheap. Sunvisor is too thick for a garage door opener.

Excellent Vehicle
By JM94

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Traded my 92x for the 2.5I with Navigation; I've had it a few weeks and love it. Vehicle is very solid, absolutely hugs the road and rides much smoother than I expected. It feels safe as a tank, and already I'm getting 27-28 mpg on the highway. The navigation system is cool, the guy has a slight Australian accent. You won't win any drag races with this car, but it is more than adequate for every day life on the highway. I had a car with 227 hp before and found it was an utter waste; great I can floor it for 3 seconds before I have to stop again in traffic. Thinking of an SUV but worried about gas, check this car out, you won't be disappointed. You will save on insurance too, very low risk.

Has the unique feel of an SUV, without being high up, plus it rides much smoother. Got to love the Navigation system, even though if you disobey it a few times, you can confuse it, eventually it will figure out where you are and recalculate directions. Ride quality is great, far better than I expected.

Vehicle is great, I guess if they added stability control, it would be a nice feature but Subaru's AWD system is awesome. I've had a few and never had a situation where the car lost traction. My garage door opener doesn't fit on the sun visor - it's too thick, but that's not a deal breaker.

2.5 Limited
By dsk

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First time Subaru buyer. I owned two Hondas and can't believe how much more I like my Outback. Great fit and finish. It feels like a luxury car inside. I am excited for some inclement weather as well. I will never buy another Honda again.

Sunroof is incredible. Leather seats are very comfortable. Aggressive styling. Overall feel of ride. 5 star safety rated.

The seatbelt alarm in annoying. The door remote is awkward to use. Should have satellite radio and steering wheel radio controls as well.

My first Subaru
By bassmohn

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm just one of those people who likes wagons, and need once a week extra room but don't need a typical sized SUV or a van for the rest of my driving. The Outback is pretty much a base model with a couple extra option packages, power seat, dimming mirror plus a host of standard equipment - certainly is a comfortable well designed car. Its ride is comfortable and fairly compliant. The base 4 cylinder isn't spectacular, but once up to freeway speeds is peppy. I'm averaging 27.9 mpg over the first 7,000 miles, 80% freeway and 20% city. I'd easily get over 30 on continuous 70+MPH drives. Great car so far.

Ride, comfort, excellent mileage for an all wheel drive car.

For what I paid, the interior is not quite up to a Jetta Wagon, for instance quality of materials, but it certainly doesn't look cheap or chintzy either. I probably would say to gear first gear with a little more pep off the line with an automatic...maybe the 5 speed automatic accomplishes this?