Used 2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 269 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Reliable??
By chickentoaster

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The first 4 years car was alright, just don't expect much in the way of gas mileage. Had to replace rear wheel bearings under the special extended warrentee. Car was so loud that I could not hear the people in the back seat at over 25 mph. Have kept all the service intervals. Dealer says the head gasket is shot and needs to be replaced, estimate $2000.00. Only 71,000 mile on the car. I've had cars with 150K+ miles with fewer major problems. Headlights burn out about 2 months. Car has a higher than average cost of ownership, intervals for regular service items seem more frequent than other manufacturers. I don't think I'll be getting another Subaru. Not the quality I expected.

AWD is great in the snow. heated seats and front windshield defroster are great features.

Head gasket, wheel bearings, better headlight design, better fuel mileage, longer standard warrentee.

Worst Car I Ever Loved
By Pilgrim 54

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

North western PA winters were no match for the Sube. Foot of snow; no problem. Need lots of ground clearance, fine. Need service...good luck. Yes you WILL need service. We bought ours new and sold it after 4 years. Had numorous problems with the cruise control operation. Replaced the timing belt tensioner TWICE! On the way to the dealer when we were trading it in we were having second thoughts till the check engine light came on!!

Go anywhere ability. Fun to drive. Towing capacity. Good mileage for AWD.

Our experience with service was poor. Reliability was awfull. When the car worked it was great but it wasn't working often enough to be unacceptable. Unless you know the car and the dealer I would not buy one if you want to use it to get to work everyday. You will get to know the bus schedual.

No car is perfect
By pjellison

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall the car is acceptable. The ride is comfortable and the interior design is pleasing. The right rear tire tread wore out at 20,0000. The dealer said the axle was bent. I replaced all 4 tires, the originals were not good quality. The quality of the ivory cloth seats are poor. Any spill or cleaner leaves a stain. The distinct line with the headlights are distracting. Oncoming cars frequently think I have on high beams. My hands do not grip the non-leather steering wheel (required a steering wheel grip).

Heated seats and temperature gauge on the less expensive option. Tight handling and comfortable ride.

Good quality cloth seats that will not show stains, change headlights, new colors choices (current colors are dull)

2005 Outback LL Bean
By sailaway3662

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We love this car. I has excellent build quality and the boxer engine is very powerful. The AWD is great in the snow; we take it skiing and it is very sure footed. The wagon is great and we can load just about anything on it with some planning. My only complaint is that it averages 18 MPG town/freeway. If you keep it to 70 MPH or below you can average 24 MPG on the freeway. We live in Southern Cal. and often exceed that. Would definitely recommend it.

AWD, wagon, quality of build.

Wished the MPG was higher but that is the price for more power.

Buy One!
By catskill lew

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car all around but a bit slow up the long hills. But I consistently get about 33 mpg on the 100 mile ride back from the mountains. Had sounds from front brakes but Subaru helped me replace all the brakes after only 25,000 mi. Terrific safer fun driving in the snow storms-car kept nice and steady, passing the less fortunate cars on side of snow banks.

Great in bad weather, the computer information and heated glass.

Turn signal sounds are too low. Need better way to open the rear door